Musicman sub stingray-USA-White.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by A-Step-Towards, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

This is the most desirable SUB, its the original USA made one its also in the most desirable finish , white. If you dont know what these are then you have missed out because I have had 6 of these now, I keep going back to them. There made in america, right along side all the other stingrays. The difference is they used a non contoured body (slab) and the neck is painted flat black, there are a few other variations, such as the body finish is a rough bedliner type feel and the guard is metal diamond plate.

These have a 2 band preamp just like the classics , the electronics are all USA made and just like the stuff in the classics, and the classics have a slab body to. Really its just a USA made stingray with a cheap finish. They dont sound inferior or play inferior and are still bargains when the average used ray price is around 1k still.

This one has been played. Lots of dings, dents, chips and the neck has a lot of paint coming off the back of the neck. The neck loosing paint is super common , thus many people refinish the necks just like a real stingrays neck, a nice oil finish. The wood is identical to a stingrays neck just its cheaper to spray this black paint then nicely oil it.

Anyways lots of wear but this was of no concern to me as I planned to refinish the neck to a natural wood neck and re logo it, a few have done this and it nets you a classic series ray for 1/3 the cost. Refinishing the neck is work that can be done by a novice, just using a .73 MM pick I was able to flake away some neck finish, citrus stripe is totally easy to work with , it wont hurt you and it would make this finish wipe off in a hour of it sitting on the neck, it would take it down to a sealer coat and you could actually leave it just like that if you liked, so sand then oil and apply a new MM logo or I have seen some leave the black headstock face and refinish the sides and back of the stock and full neck.

BEST PART? its LIGHT 8 pounds, 8 ounces, so 8 1/2 pounds and if you know rays then you know that is damn light. If someone were adventurous and added contours I would guess that would be a pound or so of weight removed? and hipshot ultralights can removed 1/2 pound of weight so this can be a great ray for a person that could never handle the price or the weight.

The bass plays fine, the frets are good, the electronics good it just has lots of paint wear and the battery box lid is missing.

[DEL]500[/DEL] $475 shipped CONUS- International available for more

Here is some photos of a refinished SUB with a new logo, looks just like a classic ray and has the same guts ( electronics).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/musicman-sub-refinish-912361/

Sadly the photos are gone but here was a thread on a neck refinish

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/first-neck-refinish-musicman-sub-597180/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

Rare white SUB bump. I would love it but am awfully gear heavy ATM. Any trade interest?
  3. A-Step-Towards

I am also so gear heavy its getting bad. This one I am not really looking at trades as I really didnt/dont want to sell it but I have so much other gear sitting stagnant here and on CL I have decided to post it all and what sells I guess sells even if its a few i rather hold onto. It took me 6 of these to finally find a white one and I have had to many basses around to get to refinish the neck.

If things change though I will send you a PM first.
  4. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

I like the neck the way it is! Naturally worn.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

I like worn guitars as well , but not relic worn just the naturally worn. The neck doesnt look it but its actually smooth, as for a refinish of it I just wanted to let folks know that paint basically could come off in a hour or less of work. I think if it was played as a main bass 6 months to a year the neck would be basically naturally stripped of the remaining paint.
  7. corndog

corndog Supporting Member

Bump for a great player, glwts.
  8. A-Step-Towards

pending but may fall through so let me know if interested
  9. A-Step-Towards

10. A-Step-Towards

Sadly the buyer couldnt follow through with purchase so its back up with a price drop. Lowest you are going to find a white one for.

I also have another musicman stringray USA pickup for sale, this sub could turn into a sweet project bass and even a HH if you wanted it to.
  11. A-Step-Towards

Sold the body, neck will be available for $250 shipped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.