1. Register your FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Musicman sweet spot with non-MM pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Is it reasonable to expect that a soapbar humbucker wired in parallel in the MM sweet spot would get a Stingrayish tone?

I'm going to be putting an SGD Neo humbucker in the sweet spot on my bass and it will have a series/single/parallel switch and be connected to an Audere 4-band preamp.

2. Much of the Stingrays "sweet spot" is in the preamp.

3. Sponsored by:

4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    The spacing of the coils also matters because it cancels out certain overtones.

For example, an open E string on a MM spaced humbucker has the overtone at 1550 Hz complete killed, as in 0 db are left. That is highly audible, just try it with a regular bass and an EQ to see how audible that is. If you use a narrower pickup you kill significantly higher frequencies.

Then there are the ultra fat polepieces which re-shape the magnetic field significantly compared to regular ones, not to mention compared to blades.

5. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Here is a Skjold that Pete built for me that uses two humbuckers roughly moved together into the MM sweet spot.

The bass is passive, and the materials choices favor a slightly mellow midrange tone. But I think you can hear some of the same tone signature you get in a MusicMan, which has to have something to do with the pickup placement, since pickup placement is all they really have in common.

6. That's very similar to what I will have! Here's an idea of what mine will look like:

[​IMG]

I think the middle pickup will be just a little farther north than the above pic. Both will be neodymium humbuckers that I will have connected to a double series/single/parallel switch.

7. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Interesting. The _other_ Skjold bass I have uses a switch like that, but he moved to a normal balance control for this one. I'll be honest, on that other bass I never take it off of parallel, and this red one spends 99.9% of its time at the center position. I could probably do away with that control entirely, just wire it the way I usually use it, and be just fine.

8. I'm probably going to use that switch a lot. I'll use it in parallel for MM type tones with the middle and middle/bridge pups together. I'll use the series mode when I'm using the neck and either middle or bridge pup.