Musicman sweet spot with non-MM pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Is it reasonable to expect that a soapbar humbucker wired in parallel in the MM sweet spot would get a Stingrayish tone?

I'm going to be putting an SGD Neo humbucker in the sweet spot on my bass and it will have a series/single/parallel switch and be connected to an Audere 4-band preamp.
  2. Jensby design

Jensby design

Much of the Stingrays "sweet spot" is in the preamp.
  3. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The spacing of the coils also matters because it cancels out certain overtones.

For example, an open E string on a MM spaced humbucker has the overtone at 1550 Hz complete killed, as in 0 db are left. That is highly audible, just try it with a regular bass and an EQ to see how audible that is. If you use a narrower pickup you kill significantly higher frequencies.

Then there are the ultra fat polepieces which re-shape the magnetic field significantly compared to regular ones, not to mention compared to blades.
  4. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Here is a Skjold that Pete built for me that uses two humbuckers roughly moved together into the MM sweet spot.

The bass is passive, and the materials choices favor a slightly mellow midrange tone. But I think you can hear some of the same tone signature you get in a MusicMan, which has to have something to do with the pickup placement, since pickup placement is all they really have in common.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fourstringbliss

That's very similar to what I will have! Here's an idea of what mine will look like:

[​IMG]

I think the middle pickup will be just a little farther north than the above pic. Both will be neodymium humbuckers that I will have connected to a double series/single/parallel switch.
  7. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Interesting. The _other_ Skjold bass I have uses a switch like that, but he moved to a normal balance control for this one. I'll be honest, on that other bass I never take it off of parallel, and this red one spends 99.9% of its time at the center position. I could probably do away with that control entirely, just wire it the way I usually use it, and be just fine.
  8. fourstringbliss

I'm probably going to use that switch a lot. I'll use it in parallel for MM type tones with the middle and middle/bridge pups together. I'll use the series mode when I'm using the neck and either middle or bridge pup.