1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mustang bass template?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ronaldpdbrandt, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    I'm going to be getting some old barn wood (cypress, I think) from my dad. I was looking to make a Mustang bass out of it, but I can't seem to find a template anywhere!

So...does anybody here have a link to one, or is someone maybe willing to make a tracing of their own Mustang bass for me? I suppose a Musicmaster or Bronco bass template would work just as well.

Many thanks,
    Ron
  2. skot71

skot71 Guest

3. M0ses

M0ses

The Mustang bass body is identical in size to the guitar: you could superimpose the neck cutout and bridge position from any other fender bass on top of that, and then position the pickup yourself.
  4. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    Thanks, guys. That's what I was thinking, that the guitar template might have to suffice. Weird that there isn't one specifically for the basses with that shape, though!
  5. lowerthetone

lowerthetone

I am in the middle of building a mustang g**tar, and it really surprised me how tiny the body looked, although mine is about 1/4" bigger then the original.

I used a full scale strat copy neck an it looked too long for the body, so I set the neck a little deeper to the bridge which helped. I think that is the key why a guitar mustang body could be fine for bass, because the bridge on a bass is way back towards the end of the body.

If gladly would have send you my templates, but I live in Europe... Good Luck, mustangs are cool! :bassist: