Mustang jack issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Roland GR 88, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

Good day all......My sons Mustang RI has a problem with the output jack. Not all cables plug in fully, some do, some leave 1/8" of play where the spring clip is not seating fully against the jack. This has no affect on the output however but my question is this: could I adjust the depth of the jack by loosening the outside nut and tightening the inside nut, providing there is one inside. I would like some feedback before I take the control plate off as the guitar is new and to be wrapped for x-mas later today. Thanks

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Odd thing for such a foolproof system like 1/4" jack. Just use the cable that plugs in for now; deal with it later.

My suspicion is an issue with a cheap offshore cable? The types with the molded plastic on the plug ends?

Btw, changing the depth of the jack relative to the surface of the body will only help if the plug hits the bottom of the control cavity when you plug it in.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Agreed - seems like the problem is more likely to be variation in the cable plug end than a problem with the jack. The inside of those jacks is a press fit, no adjustment possible other than bending the contact on the inside - which will not change the situation you describe.

4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

I understand , thanks for the quick answers and Merry Christmas !!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RSBBass

RSBBass

I bought a cheap GC cable years ago that was a full 1/8 too long and wouldn't plug into any jack.