1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mute notes/ Dead Notes in slap bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SlapPopBass, Jan 24, 2013.

1. SlapPopBass

SlapPopBass

The standard way to pull off a dead note/ mute note is to hold down the string on the fretboard with your left hand without actually pressing down to play the string, yes? Ok, my question is when it comes to slap bass(slap and pop) does the same method HAVE to be applied? According to a friend of mine some people like to mute the string with the back of their palm instead. Which technique is proper? or are both acceptable?

2. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

I think you'll find with slap style that it pretty much comes down to individual preference. At the end of the day, the sound it makes is what's important. Doesn't really matter how you produce it.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It bears repeating that there isn't such thing as proper technique on the electric bass.
    The instrument is still young and leaves a lot of room for liberty. Whatever works is good.

4. Tupac

Tupac

Flea uses the palm style. I'd recommend learning both. Even with parallel thumb I can mute that way. There's some Flea lines you just can't play (or at least comfortably) without it. It definitely frees up the left hand for some acrobatics.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Yeah, I agree, there is no right or wrong way. Both may have slighty different sounds and may work better in different situations, you are the master, you choose what you want to do & when etc.
    Even watch Robert Trujillo when he slaps (more Infectious Grooves than Metallica obviously) he is a very different technique, but it sounds awesome.

If you ever watch a guy that hasn't had any lessons but either a natural or practiced hard on their own, you will see all sorts of different techniques, none of them wrong.

If it works for you & doesn't hurt, it's ok