1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Muting in fingerstyle funk?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JayfromDeeKay, Sep 30, 2011.

1. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

I really like the sound of the bassist from Tower of Power. But I just can't seem to get the sound right. It almost sounds to me as though he's muting the strings while he's plucking them; the notes sound really staccato and funky at times.

Does anyone know how he accomplishes this? Is it left- or righthand muting?

Maybe it's also because he's using a P-bass and I'm playing a J-bass.

2. ThaSweet

ThaSweet

There's a series of video's on youtube explaining his fingerfunk style. He uses exclusive left hand muting.

Video 1 of a series of 7 video's.

Have fun watching.

3. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Thanks a lot for that link! Great!

4. sammyp

sammyp

his technique is highly original and kinda unorthodox ...you have to decide if it's for you or not .....he plays most of his notes with his 1st finger while his 2nd finger gently lays ahead of the 1st providing a psuedo palm muted effect .....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars, Boom Bass Cabinets
    Fretting hand muting is largely overlooked or unknown for most bassists IME. You can get some very cool things happening by incorporating that into your toolkit.

7. squeally dan

squeally dan

How do you guys get that deadened note sound without using his method?

8. winegamd

winegamd

You can palm mute or use rest strokes. If you look at Gary Willis' right hand technique, that is how he mutes.

9. Tupac

Tupac

That's so cool. Why bother totally restricting my plucking hand and swapping positions to palm mute when all I have to do is lay one finger to the right of it?

10. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

You can execute more complex lines when you mute with your plucking hand and it's a different tone too. Both have their uses.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars, Boom Bass Cabinets
    They're all options and have their place.
    :)

For fretting hand, I even do what I call "semi-mute". Using my fretting finger I adjust pressure to get anywhere from a full note to a deadened one at pitch to a ghost note to none at all. Very handy.