1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Muting while using a four finger technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PegasusMIJ, Sep 13, 2013.

1. PegasusMIJ

PegasusMIJ

I've recently become intrigued by the heavily thumb-inclusive technique of Dominique di Piazza, but I found myself confused by how muting would work. What finger/part of the hand mutes the strings after the thumb plays a note? Also, what do you guys think of the use of thumb picks? Does the sound produced by the pick vs the rest of the fingers make for an inconsistent tone or are there certain types of picks that Dominique di Piazza uses?

Here's a video of his playing
  2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

unused fretting fingers ... palm muting ... while the fingers lift off a note, the strings stop vibrating ... just some ideas like that
  3. Dark Star

Dark Star

You can mute from both the left hand and the right hand. From the left hand, just lift your fingers off just enough to get a thud sound when you hit the string. If I'm playing across multiple strings, I tend to use the jointed area of my finger to press on/press off.

From the right hand, try not digging into the strings as if you were playing a note, but instead just enough to get that thud out of it as before.

The trick comes from being able to mute within certain parts of a bass line and becoming acquainted with that aspect of coordination.
  4. topo morto

topo morto

+1. There's always something spare somewhere (at least on a 4-string!)
  5. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I use the floating thumb technique - I assume you do too.

I asked this question once, and someone recommended that I use the big thumb joint (closest to the tip) to mute the lower-pitched string, and to bend this joint to pluck the desired string.