Mxr bass compressor or mxr phase 90?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

I know two completely different pedals but I'm stuck between which I'd use more. I'm afraid of getting the comp and thinking wait I don't even need this? What would your opinions be on each separately? Maybe help give me an idea of what you think of each pedal individually.

Thanks
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The comp is more of a general tone improvement/consistency/punch type of thing you'll probably either leave on all the time, or find useless and sell. The phaser will probably be really cool on one or two songs.
  3. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

This.

I've often read that good technique and decent gear will void the use of a comp. It's certainly not my case for technique, so my LMB-3 stays on all da time.

As for phaser... I love the effect, use mine as often as I can (which is about 1 song out of 10 and never for the whole song), but I've yet to see or read about a bassplayer that has phaser as a vital/essential/constant part of his tone (not saying there aren't any).

Just my 2 (canadian) cents.

:)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Thanks for that :) I'm just stumped as to whether I'd benefit fully from having a compressor.
  7. acleex38

acleex38

My MXR Bass Comp stays on all the time. I loved my phaser but I was using it to bridge the gap between Envelope Filter and Chorus when I didn't have either. Once I had one of each that I loved, every time I put the phaser on the board, it was ALWAYS the wrong decision.

I miss the phaser, but only in the basement and never when gigging or in any practical application. BUT that's me - I've heard other people use them and it's been awesome.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A compressor is just a tool. Is there a benefit to buying a specific size or shape of wrench, if you aren't sure whether you have any nuts/bolts in that size or shape?

The best reason for buying a compressor is if you have a problem to solve, and if the comp is the right tool for the job.
  9. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

True, but until you add a compressor you may not be aware of the improvement it can add.

Example: I thought my EUB played just fine. It's smooth and doesn't need limiting so using my MXR compressor on it never entered my mind, but a few day ago I plug it into my fx rack to see what would happen and after a while of playing with the compressor on without realizing, I thought I should turn if off. Nope, is added another layer of depth/sustain. So now it will be on my mini EUB board. MXR compressor-TC flashback-Sansamp

That said, if you are happy with your tone/sustain and don't slap or agressively play, maybe a Phaser is the more fun choice.
  10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

So true. I'd recommend the comp. as You can play a lot without the phaser . . . while the comp, depending on your technique (eg. slap), may improve your consistency hugely (and depending on the compressor, may give you a lot of other options).

I'd recommend having a browse of bongomania's reviews. . . I got the Carl Martin Opto comp. and it's great (for bass, haven't tried it for guitar).
    Check it out http://www.ovnilab.com/
  11. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Thanks everyone for the help its greatly appreciated!
  12. thatbasskid597

thatbasskid597

I have a Phase 90 on my board. It's great for certain parts in certain songs, but never a whole song or "always on" type of effect. It really stands out though and makes for a nice surprise when it gets kicked on
  13. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

That's pretty much it! If you do indeed decide you need a compressor, you're definitely heading in the right direction. I love the MXR compressor because it has the gain reduction LED's, which are awesome to have if you're a noob, as I still am. In fact, I've noticed that if I keep an eye on the LED's, I can adjust my technique accordingly, which is getting me to the point that I almost don't even need a compressor!
  14. NOISE!

NOISE!

I would discern what I needed to achieve the sound I need to get for what I am playing and go from there.