MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and Stingray problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bobbybass85, Feb 25, 2014.

1. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey everyone!

Here's a new problem I'm running into. I run an MXR BOD frequently on my board. It's either first in the chain, or immediately after a little EQ (taking sub-lows at around 30hz out) and compression. I use it sparingly, usually to cheat a low B on a 4 string and have had great success in the past doing so with a passive Jazz and Precision.

Recently I acquired a Stingray, and it's my new go-to. The problem is, my tracking goes to complete and utter.... poo... when using the stingray. It glitches immediately on the initial attack and then almost "decays" into the octave sound. This is totally unusable, and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I've moved it around on the pedalboard, tried it solo, played with the EQ on the Stingray (usually left completely flat) with little to no luck. The closest solution I've had has been completely removing the mids on the Stingray's preamp, but it's still not quite right.

I've read lots of posts about people loving the BOD/Stingray combo, but mine seems to suck.

So great minds of TB... whacha think? Thanks in advance for the help!

Bobby

2. aledeville

aledeville

Mostly, those octavers don't like too much input. However, the EQ completely flat should work, but I'd try diming the volume nevertheless.

Not all basses track the same way on the same pedal. IME the Jazzbass always tracks better than the P-Bass, be it on synthesizers, octavers or whatever.

3. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll try playing with the volume, we'll see what that does. And I agree that pedals respond differently depending on the bass, but I've never seen one of the BOD's become completely useless with a Stingray like this.

4. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

I tried one and it didn't like my Big Als or my Ray, especially A thru D on the G string, so I pulled it off my board, I didn't really use it anyway, It did work better with my Schecter Hellraiser in passive so it must be the hot signal from the MMs that it didn't like.

5. Register to disable this ad