1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MXR BASS OCTAVE DELUXE - Muddy sound or not?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Checa, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Checa

Checa

Hello,

After reading and watching a lot of reviews I recently decide to bought a MXR bass octave deluxe to add an that famous octave tone to may sound. However I have to admit that almost in every setting the effect that comes from the pedal sounds muddy to me. :confused:

As I have read, to really get the "real" sound from the MXR octave pedal comes when short and clean notes are played, so perhaps the muddy sound its more a play technique situation rather than a defect of the pedal. I have also read that boosting the mids shall help.

Does anybody have any experience/advice on this? Thanks in advance.

Sheers,
  2. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

I had that problem with ebs octabass but my boss oc-2 is awesome. Never tried the mxr one but I heard it can be set close to oc-2.
  3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Use the EQ adjustment control in the pedal to boost your midrange and make sure the MID button is engaged. The BOD definitely will respond better when pushed with a strong midrange signal. You might also want to try favoring the bridge pickup. Your setup and playing style is very important in getting an octave pedal to trigger, probably more so than any other kind of pedal.

Lonnybass
  4. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I couldn't get a good sound out of this pedal if it saved my life. And I play a J. Plenty of midrange there. It tracked like crap, farted out the octave notes, and decayed in a piecemeal fashion. I tried two of them.

I got a MicroPOG instead and haven't looked back. Is it the most natural, analog sound? Not really, no, but it tracks like a dream and you have the added benefit of the octave up.

(That said, I find I don't use the octaves much at all ... thinking of unloading it)
  5. Checa

Checa

Thanks Lonnybass.

Just to add a little, the issue is not the tracking but the tone. I use a MIM J with a SVT-7PRO so my uneffected clean lines are really definied. The thing when I engage the BOD my tone gets undefined and really low even when I play high notes. But like a I said, it can be my technique rather than the pedal itself.

I'll try boosting the mids on the internal knob and see what happens.
  6. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

If you favor "growl" over "girth" I think you can get a tighter, punchier bottom. Also, running some mild OD after the BOD can help make the leading edges of your notes pop better, giving you better intelligibility.
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

No problem here, best octaver I've tried (which is only the EBS v1 and v2, and the MXR). Tracks great and holds the octave endlessly. Good sound that is not muddy. Maybe it depends on what you send to the pedal, I play active Jazz basses that have a rather hot signal, and also how you blend the three tones.
  8. Phagor

Phagor

I think the main factor with muddy octaver sounds is not playing an octave higher.

If a bass part sounds good on it's own in a certain octave, then when you switch the octave pedal on, you should play that part an octave higher. Then the octave down will be where the bass part was originally.

Guys often want their octave pedals to track below the A string. My OC2 and EBS octave pedals track ok down there, but really, they sound like mud when combined with my bass's signal.

A bass's A string is at 55 Hz. With an octave pedal it goes down to 27.5 Hz. Below that, most amps and speakers start to roll off in their frequency response. The notes are harder to distinguish the lower they get. Also, at 27.5 Hz, the wavelength is over 12 metres. You won't hear much of that frequency if you're standing 1 metre away from your speakers.

All of my favourite tracks with octaver are played up an octave - (Tear Your Playhouse Down, Paul Young, Pino Palladino on bass), Sledgehammer (Peter Gabriel, Tony Levin), Uprising (Muse, Chris Wolstenholme).
  9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

I thought that was a given ... but if people are trying to play an octave at or even below open A then I understand why they think their octaver doesn't work that well.
  10. Connormac123456

Connormac123456

I know for sure that some basses don't respond well to MXR BODs. I bought mine used from a pawn shop, and found out later on that my drummer (who is also a bass player) previously owned it and said that it couldn't track for $h!t. I play with it and it tracks perfectly fine, even when I tune down a half-step it holds onto the low Eb quite nicely for a reasonable amount of time.
    I've found it to be the most usable/musical octave I've tried. The Growl and Girth knobs really add tonal flexibility, the growl having a bit more "cut" to the sound, and the Girth having a really deep and punchy bottom end. As said above, turning up the Growl and lowering the Girth will definitely get rid of the mud, but by playing an octave higher will get the best results for sure.
  11. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    There is a switch inside the guts of the pedal that will change the mid frequency of the pedal.
    Iirc it moves the boost from around somewhere in the 100s to somewhere in the 200s. It can make a huge difference to the sound o the octaves signal.
  12. the low one

the low one

The mid boost on the MXR should help with the muddy tone you are hearing. The factory default is the lower frequency boost at 400hz but to my ears this sounds muddy on my P bass.

On your Jazz bass what pickups do you use? If you use both pickups or just the neck pickup then try moving the mid boost to the upper position where it will boost at 850hz. This should help the dry cut through more clearly.

Have a look at Ed Friedland's review on Youtube, he explains it well there.
  13. Billy Spitfire

Billy Spitfire

I have a Boss OC2 and it has it's limitations when playing below A -- it glitches by not staying locked onto the low octave very long. And the double octave is unusable below maybe a D. So I bought an MXR octave deluxe thinking would be magical. However, it glitches just as bad, almost hangs on at G and F#, but still not very useful down low unless you have mostly dry in the mix. So it is useless in trying to get a dropped C sound in my opinion. I am also struggling with using a bass set up low with light strings -- any attempt to play chords, or leave an open string ringing or any kind of a fret buzz makes the sound come out warbled and distorted like a wood shredder. So I'm not real happy but open to suggestions...
  14. Phagor

Phagor

That sounds like typical behaviour for all analog octavers I've tried.

You need to get a digital octaver like a POG to play chords and get better tracking. But it won't sound like an analog octaver.

To get a drop C sound, why don't you use the OC2 -2 octave and play two octaves up? Take your dry bass out completely. Tracking will be good up there, play higher on neck for even better tracking and the feel of the thicker strings.
  15. Unemploid

Unemploid

mxr bass octave deluxe tracks great on my gretsch g5123b. i have the dry at full. when i playing with a my band, i usually, have the girth and growl knobs low. i play in a rock band, so i haven't found i use for a strong presence for octave in our songs. anyway, you may want to put the growl low and girth up, maybe even put the dry lower to get rid on muddiness. lower the bass or lowend on your amp.
  16. GMC

GMC

I think what we all need is for someone to make a really decent octave pedal modeler. One which tracks and offers all the great analogue and digital sounds but with the POG's versatility.
  17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

For me it all boils down to tracking versus tone. Want great tracking, get something like a MicroPOG, which sounds pretty terrible to my ears. Want great tone? Get a BOD, Octamizer, etc. if you want that pedal to track well, favor the neck pickup, play softly and cleanly with the fleshy part of your finger, avoid open strings, and have realistic expectations about how low you can go. The goal being to emphasize the fundamental while minimizing harmonic content in your playing.

People often talk about tracking problems with analog octave pedals, and go on about this bass, that bass, this setting, that setting, etc., all the while cleaning up your technique and playing more "pedal friendly" will solve most of the problems. Not to sound boisterous, but give me a BOD, Octamizer, Octobass, etc. and I'll have it tracking cleanly all day.
  18. milkman2k10

milkman2k10

What he said. I run the clean around 3 and the girth and growl around 9. Gives me a very smooth clean type sound.
  19. Billy Spitfire

Billy Spitfire

Thanks! After playing around with the mid boost, it did help, and also learned something that I suppose should have been obvious, the low frequency capability of the amp and speakers makes a huge difference on how I perceived the comparison...my initial attempts were on a smaller practice amp on which I've never had any problems judging tones...I guess I've never had a really deep octave pedal before, so once I tried on a much larger rig the MXR does have some really nice capability...and it sounded a lot different than the OC2, so now I am using them both, the MXR for the club dance sound an the OC2 for the organ sound.