MXR Bass Overdrive, how clean is clean?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrklet, Jan 9, 2014.

1. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Hello!

Just got a MXR bass overdrive. Haven´t really gotten to try it out yet. Except on a crappy little Laney guitar amp. The amp alone gives me a clean sound with my bass at low volumes. But I get quite a bit of overdrive with the MXR activated and adjusted to give the cleanest possible sound. I got the MXR to be able to mix a (relatively) clean sound with a overdriven one. But I feel the clean is too dirty, if you know what I mean?

I wont be able to test it on my bass rig for a couple of weeks, and I´m able to change the pedal if I want.

So my question. Can i expect to get more of a clean sound from the pedal, when i hook it up to my bass rig?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The clean on this pedal is not clean at all, it's "pre-tuned" to blend better with the distorted sound (according to MXR) and to my ears this pedal can't go from a completely unaffected clean to overdrive, the signal is changed both in terms of EQ and there's also always some (too much for me at the minimum setting) distortion.

Personally I have to say this is among my least liked pedals, I don't like the drive character and I don't like the way it changes the mids. A matter of opinion and taste, of course.
    petrus61 likes this.
  3. Unemploid

Unemploid

i say, those that don't like the bass overdrive deluxe try out the bass fuzz deluxe, it may be what your looking for.
  4. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not a fuzz guy at all, haven't heard one I like yet. There seems to be something of a divide betwen those who like fuzz and those who prefer overdrive. To me fuzz mostly sounds like something is broken. ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Pork Loin. Clean blend isn't perfectly clean but it's MUCH cleaner than the Bass OD and you can actually hear the clean channel. I couldn't detect the clean blend at all with the Bass OD and found the blend knob useless.
  7. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Hmm.. I thought I was thorough in my search. But apparently not enough. Wanted a pedal with a good possibility to mix clean and dirty, with anything from light to go nuts overdrive.

Can I expect there to be any different characteristics when using a proper bass rig, than the Laney guitar, practice combo? Is there any point in organizing a test-session, or should I just take the MXR back. And perhaps order a Pork Loin.
  8. Unemploid

Unemploid

i just found out about the billy signature overdrive by ebs check it out.
  9. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    I've stopped recommending dirt pedals. If I can't even find "The One" for myself, how can I know what someone else will like? :)

(If the character of the MXR Overdrive is OK to you I however think you may like the Pork Loin, it's better in most ways, if you can take the size and color).
  10. Unemploid

Unemploid

about the fuzz deluxe, i'd suggest for a overdrive like tone put the dry at 12 and up, wet up, fuzz low, tone however you want.
  11. andrklet

andrklet Guest

I am liking the overdrive/dirty sounds from the MRX OB, I only wish I could get it mixed with a audible cleanish tone.
  12. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    You could go the blender route, for instance with a Boss LS-2, if you want to mix the actual clean tone with some dirt. Many here do that with various blender pedals.
  13. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Problem solved! Vent back to the shop and we hooked the MXR OB up to a bass amp, et voila. The clean maintains a relatively clean bottom, which was completely non audible on my tiny guitar amp. It is not possible to get a fully clean sound with the pedal activated, but that was obviously never the point. But with the clean from about 12 up to max I got a solid cleanish bottom. With anything from a mild overdrive and up. I´m happy and looking forward to rehearsals :)
  14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

Bit of a thread resurrection, but I just scored one of these on the cheap. It's funny, the Juan Alderete video turned me on to the pedal, but when I tested it I noticed that it doesn't really sound like it did in that demo. Well, it sorta did, but definitely more intense and distorted than I was lead to believe. Sad face for me. But considering how cheap it was, the fact that the clean blend does maintain a really strong bottom end, and that it's the only pedal I could find which fit both those criteria while still fitting on my nano board, I decided to get it anyways!

In one of the bands I play in, the drummer is also an excellent tech, who among other things, builds his own pedals. He said he could adjust some internals to lower the amount of gain on tap, and i'm even thinking of having the range of sweep on the tone knob increased; I want it to have the potential for a sharper edge than it's got.

I guess if anybody cares to hear about it, i'll report back with my findings!
    TitaniumRx likes this.
  15. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

I care :thumbsup:

And 2 questions : Your bass is a little hot output bass?

Is the sound more close to this video?
  16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It's a nice sounding OD, but I agree that its hard (impossible) to get a "clean" sound with it engaged, so its not for the "mild breakup" crowd, but it may be the pre-tuned voicing tricking my ears. I found it to have a dark, bottom heavy OD that was still very musical sounding, but not for me in the end since I only have room for one dirt pedal.
  17. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

So dark and fuzzy.
  18. zapped777

zapped777

Plus uno
  19. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

Hahaha, fair enough! Glad to hear that. I'll definitely report back when something happens.

It certainly sounds more like that video. Very dark and fuzzy. I mostly play an old 4003, and as far as I can tell, the pickups are pretty low output. However, I'm getting the most decent sound so far with my Orange terror bass/Markbass 121 combo. Even better than my old flip top! I tried it with one of the new PF series ampegs, as well as the Orange AD200 when I was in the shop, and it has more or less that same tone no matter what rig it's running into.
    TitaniumRx likes this.