1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MXR knobs problem???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Connormac123456, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Connormac123456

Connormac123456

So a couple of months ago I bought MXR's Bass Envelope Filter and dialed in a setting that I really loved early on so I never really messed with the knobs too much. A few nights ago I decided I wanted to go for a different tone, and when I turned the Q control all the way down, it would keep moving beyond the range that it normally should. Thinking maybe the knob was loose (I'm not too bright... :confused:) I kept turning the knob hoping to tighten it, and eventually the knob popped off. I'll admit, that's partially my bad. But in closer examination of all of the other knobs on the pedal, they easily popped off just like the one for the Q control!!! I guessed early on that bad quality control is to blame, but considering the majority of my other pedals are from Dunlop/MXR and they're all top-notch, I doubt it.
    I'm going to take it into the Long and McQuade I bought it from since the warranty is still good and see what they can do for me; I asked them about it today and they said they'd take a look at it and see if they can fix it if not get a new pedal for me.
    My question though, is if this is common with many MXR pedals or if it's maybe just common with the envelope filter or something? I mean all of my pedals (13 as of right now) except two are Dunlop/MXR, so as you can imagine this has given me reason to be concerned :meh:
    So does anybody have experience with this? All input is appreciated :)
  2. M0ses

M0ses

I need clarification. The knob physically rotated more than it was supposed to, you kept rotating it, and it eventually came off? Did anything break when that happened? Is the pot shaft still mounted on the box properly? Was the sound of the pedal affected at all through this?
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No, absolutely not - I have some MXR petals that are over 30+ years old that still work perfectly.
  4. Connormac123456

Connormac123456

The pot shaft is still mounted and it sounds the same as it did before, just the top of the knobs are very loose and pop off easily.
    Just as an encouraging note, I have the MXR Bass Compressor with the same knobs as the Envelope, and I have not yet experienced this problem. So I'm thinking quality control is to blame.
    Sorry about the confusion.
  5. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

um, knobs have set screws, they don't screw onto the pot.
  6. Truktek2

Truktek2

Not on this pedal. They are just pushed onto the pot. I had the same experience as the op. I just took the knob off, squirted some black silicone in the knob, pressed back on, and good as new.
  7. StingrayDerek

StingrayDerek Supporting Member

I have the exact same problem with the exact same pedal! This happened probably over a year ago though and I still have no idea how to fix it. I've seen a ton of their silver guitar distortion pedals completely without the little plastic knobs too so it must be a common problem.
  8. Connormac123456

Connormac123456

Yeah I'm thinking of asking the guys at L&M about what they can help me do, and if it won't void the warranty I'm just going to use some super glue to do much the same operation you described.
  9. HeebHammer70

HeebHammer70

The Bass Comp (mine at least) has knobs with screws for everything but the ratio knob, which is on a lousy plastic shaft. I could easily pull it off. I put some glue in there and don't touch it so it's not an issue.
  10. jd-ns

jd-ns Supporting Member

I have come across the MXR loose-knob problem on 2 different compressor pedals and 1 envelope filter... the tiny drop of glue that MXR used to stick the plastic knob to the metal pot shaft below is not strong enough (or there is not enough of it).

This is very annoying but an easy fix.