1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MXR M-80 Parallel output question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DonBorelli, Nov 25, 2012.

1. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Hey Gang

Have any of you used the MXR-80 as a "proper" signal splitter.

I see a lot of descriptions where they only mention the parallel output being used to send a signal to a tuner.

But can it be used to send a nice dry signal to your amp?

This may be a really dumb question, but I'm a total n00b when it comes to signal splitting.

I'm thinking about using the MXR-80 to sculpt my P.A. tone and then send an uneffected signal to my amp, so I can work with a nice clean and "unspoiled" sound.

2. mowburger

mowburger

Yes it is directly connected (in parallel) to the input, use that to your amp to bypass the pedals eq. Or use an a/b box after the pedal A=pedal OUTPUT, B=dry PARALLEL out. I love these kinds of DI pedals, they're the swiss army knives of gear.

3. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Thanks for the reply!

And I agree - it is a very cool feature.

I like how the MXR-80 sounds when it's going into my Sansamp Bass Driver. I will use these two units to sculpt my "P.A. tone"....

The problem is - I think the Sansamp sounds way too scooped when going into most bass amps - since a lot of them have an inherent scoop. And I don't dig the fact that the sound coming out of my cab has an speaker emulation effect.

Thus, I will send a clean signal from the parallel output to my Xotic Bass BB Preamp (or DOD FX91 overdrive) - they both sound awesome when going into an amp. But they are not really particularly "D.I." friendly. Hopefully, this will leave me with the best of both worlds.