MXR M198 Dual Loop Box - serial or parallel?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ortli, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ortli

Ortli

I read a lot about the MXR M198 Dual Loop Box before ordering it. It says "runs 2 parallel effects loops", "run separate series/parallel effects loops", "run two separate parallel effects loops" and so on.
    I was exactly looking for two parallel effects loops, so I thought this pedal was perfect.

When I ordered it and tried it out, it turned out to have serial effects loops (return of the first loop goes into the send of the second loop). At least that's what I would call a serial looper. Parallel would mean that the clean signal is first split after the input, then goes to both sends and the return signals are mixed at the end just before the output.

Am I getting something wrong? Or is there a possibility to change that behaviour? Already asked MXR but didn't get a response yet.
    Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English...

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I am pretty sure they are using the word "parallel" in a misleading way. The loops are only "parallel" in that they are side-by-side on the pedal. I would be disappointed too.

To make them actually parallel would require building and inserting a small active mixing circuit, like the "bblender".

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Not sure from were you quote these "parallel" references . There is none on the MXR site, where they clearly state that it is a classic dual loop box, serial.

4. Ortli

Ortli

Well, the manual says "Runs two independent or series effect loops", which is quite misleading imo as they are not really independet.

"Parallel" can be found here:

http://www.lamusic.ca/Dunlop-MXR-M198-Dual-Loop-Box-Little-Helper-p/m198.htm

or here:

http://www.toneworld.co.uk/effects-...xr-dual-loop-box-for-guitar-effects-m198-p916

or here:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid24708/cid692/mxr-m198-dual-loop-box.asp

That description can be found on many websites, also on the German online shop I ordered it from. They must be stupid.
    This sucks, I am disappointed. I thought I could get rid of my BOSS LS-2 but it's still great value obviously...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

They are truly independant, you activate one, the other or both.
    The shops, on the other hand have it wrong. I think this can command a refund based on a wrong description of the product.
    If you want to replace your LS-2, look into the Badger Schism or a Wounded Paw blender.

7. Ortli

Ortli

Well, they are independent in terms of switching. But loop 2 is dependent of what happens in loop 1...
    I also think the shops got it wrong which is annoying. Weird though that so many shops have a wrong description of the functionality of this pedal...

Thanks for your advise. I already own the Wounded Paw Blender V4 which I totally dig, it very very good. I was just looking for a smaller pedal. If the BOSS LS-2 had a "A -> B -> A+B mix" mode, everything would be fine...
    I might give the Badger Schism a try. Do you know how much it is?

8. Jazz Ad

Last time I checked, it was us$235 new.