1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MXR M80 Bass D.I.+ Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dearthbass14, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Dearthbass14

Dearthbass14

I'm looking into getting a MXR M80 Bass D.I.+ Pedal, has anyone used one before? Are they any good?

2. jking138

jking138

There are lots of threads about the MXR just do a quick search. But I have one and in my opinion its a great preamp DI. The distortion channel isn't to everybodys taste, its quite modern, hard rock and metal orientated, not a hot SVT like the samsamp. However its also more tweakable, having a 3 band EQ and the noise gate is very useful.
    Chris Cheney from Janes Addiction uses one, check the 'Strays' album, Shawn Economaki of Stone Sour, Johnny Christ of Avenged Sevenfold and also Duff Mckagan with velvet Revolver. But it is very versatile, its not just for metal.

3. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Its a great DI, I used one for about a year.

The only part I did NOT like is the distortion channel. It was great sounding, don't get me wrong, but the distortion automatically scooped the sound similar to its 'Color' Knob on the clean channel. I did not like the scooped sound on my clean tone or distortion. If it weren't for that one quirk I'd still have it. Your tastes may differ so take it as it is. It's definitely a great DI and pedal regardless.

4. zonoluc

zonoluc

Great pedal. I prefer a clean tone with a hint of bite and the modern sound of the mxr m80 di can be integrated perfectly with the blend knob. I researched this carefully, then used it last night for a gig and it performed flawlessly. Delivered balance on top and bottom of the sound spectrum. This will be an "always on" pedal in my signal chain.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AndyLES

AndyLES

It's an essential "tool box" pedal for me. I have two pedalboards and have an MXR M80 on each.

It's very versatile - you can use it as a preamp (it can drive the FX return of pretty much any amp I've tried it on, although you may have crank the MXR's level knob a bit), a distortion box, a clean boost, an EQ...hell, even if you don't use the distortion, you can set one channel flat, then the other scooped with the color switch, or with a level set for a different bass.

It's also a DI box, splitter, buffer...even the simple gate function will work, even with the blend on channel 2 turned down low, etc.

I play a lot of "house" rigs, some better than others, and I use the MXR's EQ to fix any problems.

And, IMO, unlike the Tech 21 boxes, it won't "fight" with your amp. I found the sansamps impose their own "will" (i.e., tone) rather than work with it, like the MXR.

For the price, it's a magic box.

7. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

I just picked one up in the classifieds and love it so far. It's taking the place of my soon-to-be-sold Sansamp.

8. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

I use it and love it. The distortion for me is great because it adds just a little growl if dialed in right.

9. rekesbass

rekesbass

have been using one for a while now and it's the only pedal that stays on my board..as far as the distortion goes,I like it..it can be very fuzzy or it can be dialed back with low gain and blend settings adding just a bit of hair..it is my most used pedal..great tool

10. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

I have been using one for a few years, and i was really happy with it.
    I don't use it anymore, but it has been pretty useful in many situations.

11. basslifter

basslifter Supporting Member

I have this pedal and enjoy it very much. I have bass with a passive/active switch. I would have to say that it does better with my bass in passive mode.