1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MXR M82, looking for something more Mu Tron like.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ugly_bassplayer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

I've been using the MXR for the past few months & I'm not getting the tones I want. Any suggestions for something more Mu Tron like....??
  2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

The Mu-Tron III+ from Haz. A fantastic pedal in its own rights despite the murky history.
  3. ugly_bassplayer

Murky History?
  4. Grizzey

Grizzey

I love my Maxon AF-9, very versatile, and wicked good.
    It also uses a photocoupler, like the MuTron III

They can be kind of expensive, though...
  5. 7T9

7T9

3leaf audio proton
    I love it. Sure it is a matter of taste but my Haz Mutron-III+ (very good indeed) has been collecting dust since I got the Proton (first batch without the decay know so I guess the new one is more versatile) : I prefer its sound, its size, its weight, and it is much easier to set on the pedalboard.
    I haven't tried the maxon (don't need to) :bassist:
  6. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Another +1 for the Proton: I've tried the original and the new version and both can get that Mutron sound. I personally use a WMD Super Fatman and it can get Mutron as well as just about any envelope filter and/or auto Wah tones
  7. ugly_bassplayer

cool, thank you for the suggestions.
  8. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

EHX Qballs. You can fine-tune it to get Mu-Tron and much more.
  9. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

The 3leafs (Proton and Wonderlove) are fantastic. I also like the DOD FX25B, which you might be able to score for like $40 on ebay. Wanting to try the VFE Mini Mu.
  10. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

Apparently, Musitronics (maker of the original Mu-Tron III) sold the rights to the Mu-Tron III name and pedal design to Haz Labs. Haz had the audacity to actually use the name and design that it legally bought the rights to use, so the original designer (Mike Beigel) went on a "Don't buy a fake!" campaign, and a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon.

The lesson, IMO: Don't sell the rights to something that you don't want anyone else to use.
  11. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass Supporting Member

Between a pal and I we have tested almost every Mutron variant out there plus several others and the ones that get closest to my lsound.com (old Musitronics employee owed) serviced Mutron are:

Qballs
    WMD Fatman

3leaf and Haz sounded great but where missing Mutron magic, too tame if I remember. That doesn't speak for the new revision of the Proton or Wonderlove though. The Ultron is next on the bench.
  12. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass Supporting Member

If you have a Haz still I'd love to know if it has the same 0805 photo couple. It missed when compared to my Mutron III.
  13. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

100% agree with this assessment on all counts, and I own a Qballs, used to own a Fatman (want another one), used to own a lsound.com serviced original Mu-Tron III (can't afford another one!), and used to own the 3Leaf GR and GR2. I've tried the Ultron; sounded too clean and hi-fi to my ears.
  14. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

I've never owned or tried a Haz, so I have no personal prejudices about the sound; just relating the business story as I understand it.
  15. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Proton is cool but a bit too subtle at times. The VFE Mini Mu is really good as well.
  16. ugly_bassplayer

I don't want anything subtle, the greasier the better.
  17. bassboysam

Mini Mu was pretty greasy
  18. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
  19. bassboysam

It does great with dirt but it was too sensitive for me. slight changes in input volume made too much of a difference and i couldnt find a setting that worked with clean and dirty without having to adjust the sensitivity. the input gain had to be set perfectly for it to work. i think i may just contact VFE and see if he can make one that is a little more forgiving.

I find the Proton more subtle but easier to use live when i dont have a lot of time to set it. often times the same setting works with multiple basses and dirt pedals. but the Mini Mu sounds cooler.
  20. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

The Proton is the best sound for me.