1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MXR M87 Bass Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hiperion80, Jan 3, 2013.

1. hiperion80

hiperion80

hi all, first post on this forum :help:

i am considering two options and i cant make choice so i need help from some of you more experienced people there :)

http://www.fender.com/en-MK/series/rumble/rumble-150-combo/#features 150 w rumble with MXR M87 Bass Compressor http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/bass-compressor

or just to get a 350w rumble without the compressor

i need to chose because i dont have money for the pedal and the 350w amp atm

we play rock at clubs and pubs so what would be better choice?

thanks alot :)

2. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

I would go with the 350w amp. I tried that compressor and was really disappointed in it. That amount of headroom should really tighten up your sound for most gigs.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would skip the comp for now too, even though I liked that one quite well. It's just nowhere near "as necessary" as a big-enough amp for the gig.

4. hiperion80

hiperion80

thx for the reply chub,
    i was ready to buy the 350w but a friend told me to consider the other option because its very heavy for carrying and i dont need that much power, however if i dont get better quality sound with the compressor+150w i am still more interested for the 350w

other opinions will be appreciated please reply

thx

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hiperion80

hiperion80

thx for the info bongo,

the largest place we would play is about 120m2 (the other locals are smaller).
    do you think 150w is enough?

7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

This ^^

I love the MXR compressor, but 150w is not enough. Get the bigger amp first.

8. SteveC

SteveC

Go for the amp. You don't need a compressor.
    Or...if you are in the PA get the smaller amp for monitor/practice and a good DI.

9. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

I'd go with the 350w. Just because you don't need that much power now, you might in the future. Extra headroom (power) is nice for keeping the sound clean (if that's your thing).

10. hiperion80

hiperion80

thx people for the replies,
    much appreciated

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Having enough amp is much more important than adding accessories to an inadequet set-up. Your choice of spkr cabs is of the most importance.

12. rmars

rmars

+1