MXR M87 Compression Conundrum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lank Thompson, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Lank Thompson

Lank Thompson

So this past Saturday I bought a MXR M87 Bass Compression pedal. I was very pumped. However, when I hooked everything up I couldn't get the gain reduction LED's to appear. The blue light came on (on the pedal) and there was a significant boost in volume, but no matter how I tweaked the pedal (attack, release, input, output) I could not get the LED's to register.
    I have a Fender Select P running into a Fender TV 15.
    The TV 15 is 350 watts, Tube preamp, solid state power amp and has both gain and volume controls.
    I brought the pedal back had them try it.
    They plugged it into a Mexican P and an Acoustic B10.
    The pedal worked perfectly.
    I bought the same power adapted used at the store and went home to try it again.
    Absolutely, no change. I had the exact same thing happen.
    I tested both of my chords and both work.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why I cant get this to work?

:meh:

2. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

How are you using it? Bass > compressor > amp? Maybe your bass volume is not fully turned up? Maybe you pluck really soft? Maybe your pups are to far away from the strings? Usually when I turn the volume down on my bass I don't get any indicators led.

Maybe you don't need compression?

3. alec

alec

Turn the Input right up and adjust the Output to suit and you should be lighting it up. If not, check what jmverdugo says.
    You could take the pedal and your bass back to the store and compare the volume of your bass to others in the store.