My 1999 Warwick Streamer Standard Needs Help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SecretCityGuy, Feb 9, 2013.

1. SecretCityGuy

SecretCityGuy

I have a 1999 Warwick Streamer Standard. It plays very nicely, it is a 5'r. Body is of a 3 pc Corolena bolt on body, the neck and the frettboard are Wenge. It has a MEC Vintage Humbucker pup in it, with a volume and tone knob. The pots are both 25K pots. The problem is that the bass has no low end to it.. it is truly anemic in this department. What can I do to remedy the anemic low end. I have thought about putting a pre into it, but I have no idea of which one to use. I really like the way the bass plays, but, at this point, I am really hating the way it sounds!:crying:
  2. SecretCityGuy

SecretCityGuy

I guess no one else knows what to do either!
  3. CauliColin

CauliColin

Use an EQ, whether its on the bass or the amp?
  4. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

Have you taken a look in the control cavity to make sure everything looks kosher? You could also take a few readings from the pickup and make sure both coils are reading good dc resistance.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SecretCityGuy

SecretCityGuy

I have thought about putting a meter on the pups to see what may be there.. I will have to try that here in a minute.
  7. SecretCityGuy

SecretCityGuy

Maybe wrong here, but I am not gettng any resisstance accross the cap on the tone pot.
  8. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist

I would see if any store near you has a Streamer in stock and play both and compare the bottom end.
  9. SecretCityGuy

SecretCityGuy

There is not one around here close! But I had tought about that.
  10. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

Post this in the Warwick forum and you'll get attention from Warwick themselves as we'll as other folks knowledgable in Warwicks.
  11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I had one of those. That era Streamer Standard is a really good bass for the money (pre-"Rockbass" ) with it's wenge/ovangkol neck, single MEC humbucker and standard-style bridge.

Mine was "okay" in the low end, but everyone who heard it in the rehersal space thought it sounded like a Rickenbacker!!! Hmmmm..., it WAS reminiscent of a rick, kinda hollowed-out sounding.

I'd definitely keep that bass, and I think I wound up pulling the MEC humbucker and replacing it with a G&L MFD humbucking, which is not lacking for anything output-wise! It was close to the same size, but I can't remember how much shoe-horning I had to do to fit it in.
  12. SecretCityGuy

SecretCityGuy

Yes, it def has that hollow sound to it.. I was ever so much trying to think of a way to explain how it sounds. You nailed it. It is hollow sounding indeed. Well I cross posted this in the Warwick section as well to see what those guys have to say. I don't want to get rid of it, I do like the way that it plays. I must have lucked out on this one, it is a Wenge/Wenge neck and fretboard bass.