My 1st doublebass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Slammin, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Slammin

Slammin

Bought this brand new from KC Strings here in St. Louis. My visit to the store was my first time ever touching an AUB but I have always wanted one. This one was probably the third one I tried and as soon as I played the 1st note, I knew this was going to be my bass! It has a very 70's vibe, with a huge 'Ooomph' type attack and a very mean growl too!

This is their Krutz Series 400 model. The picture does not do it justice but is a very beautiful and well crafted (from what little I know) instrument and the folks at the store were most helpful, even giving me a few lessons on how to stand with the bass, right hand and left hand technique and using the bow. It was a really cool experience and I will definitely be doing business with them should I have a need.

The main reason I am posting though is, CARPET! When I got the bass home, the first thing I noticed was that it sounded a lot darker and quieter than it did in the store. So much so that I put some Spiro weichs on, which I really like, but they didn't really do much for the dark/muted tone. On a whim, I took the bass to the foyer, which has a wooden floor and wow! Next, I tried it in the kitchen and all of a sudden I could hear all these wonderful overtones (like faint bells behind the notes) and finally, I tried it in the laundry room with the door closed or open, and Boom!! The bass hits like a cannon!

I am removing the carpet and putting down wood flooring as soon as I can afford it, lol!

Attached Files:

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the world of acoustic instruments. I wouldn't start changing your room just yet. Lots of factors can impact that realized sound from them.

Congrats on the bass and welcome.
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Congrats! That is a beautiful looking instrument. I've heard good things about them. Is that a 3/4?

And yes, I'm sure the carpet muffles your sound. But that may not be a bad thing if you only plan to practice there, rather than perform there.
  4. Slammin

Slammin

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Lee, yes this is a 3/4 fully carved. I was actually just kidding about pulling the carpet..... I think :)
  5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Congrats and welcome! Okay, you gonna take off the price tag now? :)
  6. BrettBelanger

BrettBelanger

7. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

Get a triangle of wood, drill a hole in the middle for the bass spike, and put wood screws in each corner long enough to go right through the wood AND THE CARPET. Play with your spike in this gadget.

Two advantages: like a spiked loudspeaker, you get proper floor coupling. And secondly, your spike will not slip.

That way you get to keep the carpet. It won't be quite the same as a wood floor, but it will be better.
  8. Slammin

Slammin

LOL, do you miss any detail? I love your wisdom and contribution in this forum, btw, as well as the others that help out us newbs.

Yes tag removed now. :)

I've been playing this bass for two months now. I also have about 11 bass guitars and have not really touched any of them since getting this bass. I actually started getting some blood blisters on my fingers after about two weeks of banging on this DB.

Pretty crazy to me because I have been playing BG since I was about 7. Anywho, the blood-blisters have gone away.

I just have to figure out how you awesome players find so many good notes on such a small section of the neck. I love 24 fret neck electric basses and I abuse all 24 frets.

I see you do it, but I cannot fathom me being able to do that!

Thumb technique?

Looks like a lot more than that to me. I really cannot imagine being musical in the upper registers, but I intend to practice and get there.
  9. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    KC Strings makes great basses.
  10. Slammin

Slammin

Sounds a little extreme, but also very tempting. Would be out of the question (in this family room) if I had a wife-unit/supervisor I'm sure, but would definitely reduce the risks of breaking my bridge as I move from the family room to the kitchen with my bass.

It seems room acoustics really have a profound effect. I may add a pickup to this bass so that I can tune it to the place I play it the most for now.

Speaking of; I love the dark thumpiness of this bass, but that dark sound still includes the rings/overtones that make my spine tingle. My thinking is, if I were to need to make a brighter bass more thumpy/dark like mine via amp and equalization, I would lose all those wonderful overtones in the process. In contrary, if I wanted to brighten up my tone through amplification, I would still retain all these extra sounds I hear now. That was a factor in buying this bass.

Yes, I will be adding some type of pickup to this bass one day, but it would seem that starting out with a dark/thumpy voicefull bass would have more tonal options available than a bright voicefull bass.

Thoughts?
  11. Slammin

Slammin

I definitely like to hear that. And I agree!

Thanks!
  12. vin*tone

vin*tone

Congrats mate. You'll definitely get more control of tone and volume as you progress.
  13. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

I wasn't meaning to screw that to the floor... just use the screws as spikes to stand the bass on (you can just sharpen your endpin spike too, but that doesn't have as much effect).

Room accoustics are HUGE... you'll find just opening a window has a big effect too.

As for dark/bright... I'm a classical player, I NEED brightness so I can hear what I'm doing in the orchestra. It doesn't really carry very much.