My 2nd DP custom bass build on order

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scuzzy, Oct 18, 2013.

1. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    Hey all. Just putting out more info on DP custom basses. you can read all about the pros and cons on this site, with the more recent being the most fair. I got my first one in 2011 and couldn't be happier. definitely some minor finish flaws, such as the sides of the nut, but overall excellent quality. I bought a five because my gig at the time required it, although I prefer a 4-string. since then, that gig has disappeared. I have gone through an american deluxe jazz and an ernie ball big al and sold them both, because the playability, but more importantly the TONE just doesn't compare to the DP. I finally got fed up, sold my aggie gs410 and some other gear and put my 2nd order in. I have a 4-string "LP" style single-cut build coming with nordstrand's throughout, 2 piece hipshot, maple maple maple...the works. picking out top piece now and should be gettings some drawings/layout work soon to help combate neck dive. The fact that this build will cost less than an american fender is more than enough reason to go with Dave again. He's not the fastest builder, but he listens and gives constructive feedback when warranted. If you have any questions, please contact me. I'll try to update on the build as it goes along.

some pics of the first dp custom. the knob's were outsourced, and used the same burled maple as the top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lostrings

lostrings

I had a bass built by Dave back in 2004, and I am a big fan. I am also thinking about doing another bass. I feel the same as you about the tone of the bass. No matter what other bass I play, I keep going back to my DP because of the tone. Good luck on your new build and keep us in the loop...

3. GM60466

GM60466

Stunning!! Great Top!

4. ole Jason

ole Jason

Always heard bad things about that builder but that bass looks great.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    I heard mixed reviews before i ordered that one. Glad i took the chance. IT IS NOT THE QUALITY FIT AND FINISH OF A WARRIOR/FODERA/ALEMBIC, but it also doesn't cost nearly that much either. It costs roughly as much as a high end factory bass, but plays and sounds soooo much better, with a look closer to the big boys.

7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    a few updates. sadly, not on the build yet. should be going under the blades in a couple weeks (as was projected).

i think I am going away from the les paul style and changing to one of his scroll varieties. I don't think we will be able to get a very well balanced LP style bass that is comfortable to play. The scroll should sit nicely on a strap. I upgraded to hipshot ultralite tuners and string through body option with my 2 piece hipshot bridge. all else remains the same. I hope to get some build shots out one of these days soon.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Looking forward to seeing this project come together. Keep us posted.

9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    I was informed yesterday by Dave that he intends to start cutting the bass out this week. I was still undecided on the top. I thought plain maple, then birdseye, then plain, then interested in pale moon ebony until I discovered the cost, then back to plain maple....then open to any figured maple (besides burl). I had the option for a 5A, or 4A flame maple top for a good price, but I think that as beautiful as flame is, it is terribly common. They are so perfect, that in my mind, they can suffer from lack of character. He had this piece on hand, which he offered for a great price. He bookmatched it and I picked this orientation. I am now getting the neck lams and the fretboard in curly so it matches. I've always been a fan of the full maple basses, as you can see from my first build. But I still want this one to be distinct in it's own way. The maple and sapelle should offer warmth with great clarity.

[​IMG]

10. Basshappi

Basshappi

11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    Aside from the finish of the bass, Dave and I finalized the specs of the bass. so here you go...

4 string bass
    scroll #1 bass shape
    Curly Maple Top
    Curly Maple neck laminates (3) 34" scale
    Curly Maple fretboard, 24 frets
    Sapelle body
    black accent layer under top and between neck and body wings.
    visible neck thru
    Single MOP block @ 12th fret
    pickups: Nordstrand Dual Coil set
    EQ: Nordstrand 3-band 3B-5b
    18v electronics
    All black hardware
    Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    Hipshot 2-piece bridge
    Dunlop flush-mount straplocks
    String through body option

12. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
  13. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

Kind of late to say this but, I own a custom made 5 string les paul and it has no neck dive and balances perfectly. You could consider it for a future build.

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Oh, I like that! Are the edges going to be rounded?

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Very nice, I have been curious about DP since I found his site. I was actually trying to find Dave Parr, who is since out of the business from what I can gather. Looking forward to your NBD!

16. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    Yeah, we landed to a point were we felt it could get balanced to my liking (with a nice strap) but it was sacrificing a bit of upper fret access and would place the headstock far from my body, and since I play high on a strap, would make for a bit of unwanted torque on the wrist.

would love to see pics of the LP 5 though!

Yes, the body will be rounded off, so the black accent should pop really well against the curly maple.

17. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    wings glued to rough neck, edges rounded a bit.

[​IMG]

18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    good progress. i haven't seen many curly maple fretboards....i think it should work beautifully.

Dave routed the neck for the truss rod, carbon fiber rods, and has fashioned the headstock. coming along nicely at this point.

now I need to find a teardrop hard case....

[​IMG]

19. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

I had one...it was a beautiful bass, but the neck shape was just too odd for my hands...it had curved edges but a flat center. I gave it a year, but I ended up selling it.

20. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    trying to decide on a case. could get an MBT molded from Dave, but I am intrigued by the Guardian Cafe' case. looks so nice. anyone have any experience with either?

All is glued up, dave is radiusing the fretboard and slotting for frets.

21. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    A little update. single block inlay at the 12th, frets in, appears to have some shaping on the body. I'm really liking the maple/black accent/sapelle combo. next up...a lot of shaping, routing, wiring, drilling, finishing.

eager to see this curly maple top and neck with a finish. coming together just as i'd hoped so far.

[​IMG]