1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My 610 not as loud as a 410?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by creis2, Nov 25, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

So I have a beautiful Low Down Sound 610 I had made a few months ago. I've always loved big cabs, but most 810's are just too heavy. I had don build me a 810 sized 610, with ceramics, that weighs under 100 lbs.

It has 6 Beta 10 a's and is ported all over, front and back. It lets me dial in an old school tone with a bit more 'oomph that I was never able to get out of my nv610.

I use an Ashdown ABM 500 head.

So the other day I used my had into a friend's Aguilar GS 410 with my band. It seemed MUCH louder at with the volume dial much lower and I was able to sit with the mix much better, most of all, i felt I was much louder.

I know custom cab builds can sometimes result in a dud, but can anyone explain what might be going on?

2. spacebassed

spacebassed

That Aguilar is a very efficient cabinet (101db), it could be that your other cabinet is a less efficient design.

3. George M.

George M.

The Aguilar cab is rated at 101 dB 1W 1M. If your custom made cab don't exceed the Aguilar's sensivity, then this is the answer why you were less louder with it.

4. creis2

creis2

Makes sense, I was always under the impression that more drivers typically meant more volume per comparable watt.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tuned

Tuned

A 4x10 focuses the sound at a smaller area in front of it. I refuse to use 8x10's for fretless as I have to blast it to hear my intonation, but with my 4X10 elevated to waist height I can deal with quite low level, just cuts better.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not always. Nothing is that equal. Bigger cabs that go lower will typically be quieter than smaller cabs that are tuned higher since it takes more wattage to push lows.

8. Russell L

Russell L

It also may depend on where you were standing in relation to the cab. But, I think the sensitivity issue may be the culprit, especially if your custom cab is three deciels or so less efficient.

9. rogypop

rogypop

six betas have at least the same sensitivity as that 410, maybe
    a few dbs more. its probably tuned lower with less of a mid hump so it sounds quieter

10. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    It maybe quite sensitive in the less obvious frequencies to the human ear but the OP says that the 4x10 is apparently louder, that must mean he hears himself more in the mix with it.:bassist:
    PS That's the only real test that's relevant isn't it.
    Coupling lots of insensitive speakers can get you a very big cab with the same apparent loudness as a very sensitive much smaller one.
    Yes the chances are that the small cab won't have half the power handling at very Low frequency but the original poster is just trying to be heard not measured for the likelihood of re-awakening dormant seismic activity.:D

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The "voicing" of a cab is as important as ANY factor, and could explain this.

12. creis2

creis2

I'm a little confused. It's it's likely it's more of an eq issue than a sensitivity issue? Both cabs DID sound different and I had to adjust the eq a bit.

13. rogypop

rogypop

lts not an issue, aggie simply has higher tuning and smaller box, therefore more sensitivity in upper bass but less real lows. to get the same result cut some low lows on your abm and bump the
    180 hz slider

14. ThisBass

ThisBass

I don't know the tuning but, frequency response between 60..120 Hz is very important how strong and loud the cab feels.

Very often the tuning for DIY cabs is settled much too low.

15. creis2

creis2

The cab has ports all over and gets very nice lows, but I don't use lows. I like my mids, like what my schroder 1210 puts out.

Any suggestions to get my 610 there?

I always thought ported cabs were more efficient. Weird.

16. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I sold my 8x10 (Megoliath) for this same exact reason, biggest coolest lows I've ever heard and it pushed them so easily through all those port holes and fraking gigantic box dimensions. Didn't have my low mids/mids though and couldnt deliver them when I dialed them in... just not designed for that burly tone I wanted. I went back to my favorite 4x10 but will miss "big shiny."

17. grenadilla

grenadilla

Were both cabinets 8 ohms or 4 ohms? The amp would have more watts for a 4ohm than an 8ohm. Also consider which cabinet is louder at the back wall of the room.