1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My $75 Peavey Foundation delivers!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rick Moors, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Rick Moors

Rick Moors

I picked up a 90's Foundation 5 string with the soapbar pickups for $75, playable but with a bowed neck.

Just for laughs I tried it out on an instrumental Reggae track I was working on, instant dub tone, yikes.

No EQ, just a little compression, check it out.

https://soundcloud.com/rick-moors/dusk-to-dawn
  2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

PV Basses rock!
  3. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Great sound! The Foundation is the best bang for the buck in the bass galaxy.
  4. NOVAX

NOVAX

SSSSShhhhhhhh! Quiet! Supposed to be secret:)
  5. Rick Moors

Rick Moors

Haha, you're right, they're hard to find for under $300 now.

This is the first one I had with the soapbars instead of the Super Ferrites - a little darker I think, I like them both a lot.
  6. dickfitts

dickfitts

Right on man! Killer track! My main axe as well...if you find a fretless for $75, don't hesitate at all!!!
  7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Was it just out of adjustment, or was it another case of the chronic Foundation wrecked trussrod? Nice catch if you can restore it to true and usefulness.
  8. electracoyote

electracoyote

Dubby! Nice.
  9. Rick Moors

Rick Moors

The truss rod is frozen, can't be adjusted any further. It's playable and in tune, but you wouldn't want to play a whole gig with it, action is pretty high.

Coincidentally, I was garnering recording tips from a great bassist in Nashville and he said try raising the string height and use heavier strings. For the last few years I had been going the other direction, but this Peavey was pretty much set up like he was talking about.

Maybe he and Jamerson were on to something, hmmm....
  10. Big Dog Johnson

Big Dog Johnson

11. CYoung

CYoung

Rick - nice work, man! I keep adding US made Peaveys to my stable and just love the sound on most of 'em, especially the Foundations.

Here is me on my $75 pawn-shop fretless Foundation. Sorry, hard to see me in the back, but you can hear that nice round Foundation sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxffDvPwpJU
  12. Rick Moors

Rick Moors

That thing sounds great in a big band format! Nice playing too.

I couldn't see you very well, but I saw the familiar Foundation headstock - does yours have the Super Ferrites or the Soap bar pickups?
  13. CYoung

CYoung

It is a later model with the squared bridge and soap bar pickups. If I can locate a pic, I will post it. It was in rough shape when I got it, but a little time with an Allen wrench, some guitar polish, lemon oil, minor electronics repairs, and patience, has rewarded me with a very nice-sounding fretless bass.
  14. CYoung

CYoung

Ah, here we go:

[​IMG]
  15. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

You can probably fix that bow. Loosen the truss rod nut and put the neck in a back bow. I had a Fury that had the same problem and I fixed it by putting it in a back bow and increasing the pressure in small amounts over a couple of days. When you have it looking good, tighten the truss rod nut.

You need to give the truss rod some help. Dan Erlewine shows how:

16. Rick Moors

Rick Moors

Thanks for that tip, I will try that!
  17. Rick Moors

Rick Moors

Yeah, those are the same pickups I have in my cheapo 5 string, love 'em!
  18. CYoung

CYoung

I am hoping to get a Foundation 5 this year some time. I figure that nice sound plus the slightly narrow neck would suit my style well.