My amp broke my car's rear window!! (not kidding)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sleeq, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Sleeq

Sleeq Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I knew I took a gamble keeping it upright; I went on a speed bump and it tilted and broke the glass!

Let's just say don't f*ck with Hartke :S
  2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Not to rub it in, but YOU broke your car's rear window. The amp bears no reponsibility for this.
  3. lastnotleast

lastnotleast

In high school (1968?}, I was helping Nina Zeiger transport her harp in its case to the concert hall a few blocks away for a performance that evening.
    She made a right turn and didn't see the parked car in the blind spot created by the harp laying across the tops of the seats.
    She hit the car and the harp went though the windsheild. She cried for days.
  4. Sleeq

Sleeq Supporting Member

Well I did claim that I hit a speed bump and I wasn't careful. I didn't directly break it , so it's all about technicalities.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Reading the thread title suggests that you were playing so loudly that it broke the glass.
  7. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    In the '90s my Peavey Sessionbass/112MB combo did that to my rear side window - rolled across the back seat going around a corner and knocked it out!
  8. dls119

dls119

I am both impressed and amused. I've had a few close calls, but nothing has actually come of my reckless amp-transporting behavior.

I'm curious, how do other TBers transport/secure/whatever their gear to and from gigs?
  9. pica

pica

I hope the amp is okay!! :D
  10. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    Nearly did the same thing going around a curve on Saturday. Clacked hard against the rear side window. Scared the heck out of me.
  11. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

I did that once in Rochester after a show in the middle of the winter. The drive back to Virginia was a bit chilly...
  12. natw42

natw42 Gold Supporting Member

Did the same thing about 3 years ago. My car was 3 months old at the time :crying:

I was making a right hand turn and the guy across the intersection tried to make a left and cut me off. I punched the gas so he wouldn't hit me and my amp popped up and smashed the glass. The kicker? The venue had backline provided that I didn't know about ahead of time, so I didn't even have to bring the amp.

And this was Philly in January, so needless to say - it was a bit of a chilly ride.
  13. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

An Ampeg would've broke it better...

:p

JK
  14. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I feel for you...

I needed some $$. late last year...no gigs..

I had a pair of PV SP2 cabs which I was not using and no plans for.. So I loaded them into back of my P/U with a camper shell.

Those little cabs WERE BOTTOM HEAVY. When I loaded them , I was so tired from my day and left them upright. Didn't budge an inch on the way home from the warehouse.

I had arranged to sell them to a local PA rental guy for a reasonable price next day.

Next moring, on the way in to work as I made a slow smooth turn..I heard a huge BOOM.. One cab had shifted... tipped over..crashed into a side window in the camper top.

Sold the cabs as agreed to.. Cabs were totally undamaged and in full working order.

Cost to replace window exceeded profit from cab sale..

IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK ..I WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL.
  15. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    Haha, that takes me back. I broke my mom's car window when I was 17 when my friends guitar cab (on wheels) broke the side window of her Xterra. I also had an old Honda Civic SI hatchback that my Ampeg 8x10 fit perfectly in with the seat down. Didn't get it in far enough one time and slammed the back hatch only for the glass to hit a corner of the amp and shatter....
  16. sobie18

sobie18

I feel your pain. I loaded an SWR 410 in my front passenger seat and then slid the seat up to pin the cabinet against the dashboard. I slid it too fast and too far and the corner of the cab hit the windshield and cracked it.

'97 Mitsubishi Mirage on the island of Guam...that one cost me quite a bit.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The Hartke looks so innocent sitting there in the back seat. :p

I broke windshields twice on cold days. Windows accumulate micro fractures and with time and it doesn't take much pressure or temperature differential to break them.
  18. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Bingo. You didn't secure your load properly.
  19. Panek

Panek

One time we were coming back from a gig just outside of Warsaw in our Ford Transit van and we didn't take proper care to pack everything correctly, as we figured that since it's like a 15-20 minute drive back home, then what could happen, right? We had a very careless driver that night. He was speeding and it was a very rough ride. They dropped me off at home at went to leave the van at its parking space. When I arrived there the next morning, the back glass was smashed. When I asked what happened, the guys told me that when our driver hit the gas at a green light, my Acoustic 370, which was sitting atop a 4x12 guitar cabinet with wheels (right at window level), rolled towards the glass and broke it with one of it's corners.
  20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Haha....I did the same thing to my hatchback 3 or 4 years ago. I'm usually pretty good at putting together the jigsaw puzzle that is cramming all my gear in the car. Took pride in being able to fit bass rig, PA, lights, all the stands and extras, etc. all in my hatchback, but that time, something got turned sideways or something like that. Shut the hatch on a metal cab corner, and Smash. That was loading up to go to the gig. Luckily it wasn't raining that day.
  21. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

I think the OP is well aware of this. He's not blaming the amp.

Semantics.