1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Amp Problem - Green Player Needs Help! Please!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LikeLukin, Feb 3, 2014.

1. LikeLukin

LikeLukin

Hi Guys,
    I’ve been playing bass guitar for about 5 years now, and I really need some help deciding on a decent amp rig for me.
    First off, I play in a modern rock band, the drummer plays fairly loud, and both guitarists play fairly loud. We only play small club gigs. Portability is extremely important. The only bass I own is a 4-string American Standard P-Bass.

I purchased an SVT-CL, and an Ampeg 410HE to run it through about 5 years ago. After realizing that the amp and cab were a mismatch (4 ohm head, 8 ohm cab) and that a 410 is way too big to be carrying around as much as I was, I downsized my cab to an Aguilar DB210. I know, it’s ridiculous to be running an SVT through a 210 cab.
    This setup really doesn’t give me the sound I am looking for, the only way I can describe it is that it lacks balls, not in terms of volume, but in terms of tone. I assume this is because of the small cabinet I am using. I also hate lugging around that behemoth SVT, so it has to go.

Here’s the problem: I really don’t know what to get. I was thinking about trading my SVT-CL towards a new V4B reissue, but I am assuming that I still won’t have that “oomph” I am looking for if I run it through the DB210. Maybe if I also scraped the $$$ together to get the Ampeg 212 that seems to go hand in hand with the V4B?
    My friend suggested a Mark Bass combo, but I am partial to tube amps for some unknown reason.

I also need to achieve three specific tones: 1) Poppy clean (sometimes with chorus) like the Smiths, New Order, etc. 2) Dirty moderate overdrive and 3) Fuzz. I play through an overdrive stompbox for my overdriven sound, and a Big Muff for the fuzz. So, I need an amp that will accommodate this approach well.

To hear the tones I need, you can check out a few tracks my band has recorded at sonnytripp.bandcamp.com. The first track there called “Disco 3000” will give you an idea of the clean tone I need, “Farewell Lyubov” is a good fuzz example and “Radio” is a good example of the overdrive tone.

Anyway, I would love to hear some suggestions, and I appreciate any you guys can give me. Thanks in advance!

:bassist:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Hate to say it, but what you need is a bigger cab, or a pair of smaller ones. I think the new V4B paired with the matching 2x12 should suffice, but good hefty bass tone is almost all about the air moving bigger cabs.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

More is more. No replacement for displacement.

To the OP. I would check out those markbass combo's. They dont do anything for me personally (couldnt give me one), but you may like them.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

I'm lost, why do you think you can't run your head through an 8 ohm cab?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    What you need is a hand-truck to move that gear, and either a pair of cabs, or one larger one. Too bad you ditched the Ampeg cab, as it was a good match for that head. We could enumerate a list of others, but let's start with the cab you have.

Exactly what model is the cab you have, and how many ohms is it rated? If it is 4 ohms, it will be a problem to add a second cabinet with most heads, even with the one you have.

You seem to feel that a tube head is the only way to go. Is that so?

7. LikeLukin

LikeLukin

The cab I have is 4 ohms. I could get a second 4 ohm cab and hook them up in parallel as the SVT has a 2 ohm switch. I debated this, but although this would likely sound a whole lot better, it would just add to my portability problem.

I just purchased a Traynor Small Block 200H for portability convenience and low price about 10 minutes ago. I think I am just going to use this with my 210 for rehearsing, and smaller gigs. Hopefully it doesn't sound too bad. Going to keep the SVT and someday get a good cabinet for it... In the meantime I will increase the frequency of my arm and back workouts in prep for that day.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Don't lift with your back.

Right, I forgot you have 2 ohm capability on that CL head. What about a matching 210?
    Good luck with the 200H, looks a lot lighter.

9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

OP: assuming the Aguilar DB210 is 8ohms, just add another matching 8ohm Aguilar DB210 and you should be good to go.

EDIT: Oops, I just read the whole thread - just add a second 4ohm Aguilar DB210 and you should be good to go. The point is - there really is no way around needing more speaker for more volume. ;)

10. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    If you're looking for portability and "balls," then a Mesa Walkabout with the extension cab would surely do the trick... they are very expensive though...

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

TIP: Hand truck/cart. ;)

12. TC.65

TC.65

If you get the the new V4B with the new SVT 212 AV cab your tone will definitely have balls. I can hardly wait till I get mine.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Because it's an SVT-CL and the output transformer is rated to accept 4 and 2 ohm loads and not 8.

However, Bill Hughes, the SVT's co-inventor, said on here a couple weeks ago that an 8 ohm load with an SVT is fine. And personal experience seems to bear that out, as I've done it quite a few times and never had a problem. To me it sounds too tight and not tube-ampy enough when you do that, but if Bill says it can be done safely, it can be done safely.

Anyway, though...LikeLukin, these days, the cab I'd look at for an 810e alternative would, indeed, be the 212av. Don't expect to be cranking the SVT head all the way up to 11, but it'll get a good head of steam. The new V4B is awesome, too, but with an SVT-CL already, I think the V4B would be optional at this time unless cranking power tube distortion is important to you. However, these guys' words about needing more speaker to get really loud is sound.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I suggest you put your cab on a stand to get it up to ear level. You'll hear it a lot better at rehearsal. Adding another 2x10 and stacking them vertically is the way to go for gigging to get better dispersion, less distortion and better to hear it with on stage.

15. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

I'm with most of the guys here....just add another 2x10 cab to the mix!

i go up against Mesa Triple Rec's with 2 2x10 cabs and 350 watt solid state Head!!

16. vxjoe

vxjoe

Bobby Vega showing us his shark bass through a Phil Jones Briefcase amp. They make a 6 speaker, 200w model that weighs 33 lbs. $1350 on the PJB website.

17. Sartori

Sartori

Because he can't. SVT-CL is 2 ohm and 4 ohm.

18. el murdoque

el murdoque

I was in the same spot as you're now. One aguilar cab got me the sound, but it lacked the balls, when drums and guitar were added. I added the same cab and did not regret it.

19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Genz Benz Contour Combos are very nice,portable
    and on closeout for $400. You can add a cab if needed.
    Best combo/price for small club gigs.

20. LikeLukin

LikeLukin

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate all the info.

el murdoque, I think at some point I will do the same :bassist: