1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My amp waits a while to shut off

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by agent77, Feb 6, 2014.

1. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I have a Crate BX-220 head that I use for practice. When I flip the power switch the amp stays on for about 10 seconds. Not really a big deal since I don't gig with it, but does this mean my amp is about to die?
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Probably just capicitors holding charge and draining. I wouldn't worry about it just based off of that alone. Is this a new "condition" or has it always happened?
  3. pebo

pebo

Yep, Sounds like capacitors discharging to me too. I dont see it as an issue. My practice amp does the same. I don't unplug my bass while its winding down, I can play for a few seconds while this is going on and it speeds up the shut down.
  4. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

It's been going on for about 6 months. Works fine otherwise. Just kind of annoying when I want to switch basses.
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It is a sign of good power supply caps on an amp that has no mute circuit.
  6. Michael Pearce

Michael Pearce

One alternative is to turn the volume all the way down when switching basses instead of turning the amp off.

Another alternative is to learn patience ;)
  7. Blankandson

Blankandson

Same thing on most newer ham radios. Usually hear a muted 'pop' after about 8 seconds. It's doing a good thing so don't try to change it. Just cover your ears.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

If you hit a low note on your bass and then hit the power switch it will drain faster. The note taxes the power supply and helps drain the caps faster.
  9. P Town

P Town Guest

The time to be concerned, is if it quits doing this.
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

It's got the "Hesitation Blues"... ;)
  11. soulman969

soulman969

Beat me to it. ;)

Also saves wear and tear on the switch and the other bad things that can happen during a power up. They also sell A/B pedals for guys who do that a lot like I do.
  12. djasterix

djasterix Supporting Member

My combo does the same from day one, not an issue at all...