My amp waits a while to shut off

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Groovologist Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I have a Crate BX-220 head that I use for practice. When I flip the power switch the amp stays on for about 10 seconds. Not really a big deal since I don't gig with it, but does this mean my amp is about to die?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Somewhere Far Beyond
    Uncompensated: Kalium Strings, Fractal Audio, Dingwall basses
    Probably just capicitors holding charge and draining. I wouldn't worry about it just based off of that alone. Is this a new "condition" or has it always happened?
  3. pebo

Dec 28, 2011
    Brisbane, AUS
    Yep, Sounds like capacitors discharging to me too. I dont see it as an issue. My practice amp does the same. I don't unplug my bass while its winding down, I can play for a few seconds while this is going on and it speeds up the shut down.
  4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Groovologist Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    It's been going on for about 6 months. Works fine otherwise. Just kind of annoying when I want to switch basses.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It is a sign of good power supply caps on an amp that has no mute circuit.
  7. One alternative is to turn the volume all the way down when switching basses instead of turning the amp off.

Another alternative is to learn patience ;)
  8. Same thing on most newer ham radios. Usually hear a muted 'pop' after about 8 seconds. It's doing a good thing so don't try to change it. Just cover your ears.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If you hit a low note on your bass and then hit the power switch it will drain faster. The note taxes the power supply and helps drain the caps faster.
  10. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    The time to be concerned, is if it quits doing this.
  11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It's got the "Hesitation Blues"... ;)
  12. soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Beat me to it. ;)

Also saves wear and tear on the switch and the other bad things that can happen during a power up. They also sell A/B pedals for guys who do that a lot like I do.
  13. djasterix

Jan 1, 2012
    Lima, Peru

My combo does the same from day one, not an issue at all...