1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Ampeg B100R amp stopped working?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Timpala, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

I still get sound from the headphone jack, but no sound from the speaker. I took off the back panel and checked to see if it was something simple like a fuse, but the fuse is fine. The amp stopped while I was playing my bass through a woolly mammoth fuzz pedal. I sure hope I didn't fry it up too bad. Any suggestions for repair before I take it into the shop? Here is a link to show exactly what I have. http://www.ampeg.com/products/diamondbluebass/b100r/

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

3. Timpala

I'll take it into the shop. :meh: Or, have my roadie take a look at it. :D

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Did you check the speaker? Might have come unhooked.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. anderbass

anderbass

Good Idea^
    Instead of removing the grill/speaker, you could check the speaker wiring through the port hole in the back of your combo. Simply unscrew the port trim-ring to remove it and the cardboard tube, then you could see or feel inside to confirm if both wires are still plugged into the speaker.

If you discover both wires were still connected to the speaker: you could unplug them and route the 2 wires out the rear port hole, and connect to a known good speaker as a test. If this restores good sound, your amp section is fine and you simply fried the voice coil in your speaker.

7. Timpala

I tried looking to see if the speaker came unhooked. I can't get a good look at it from the port hole either. Also, I'm not sure how the front mesh is attached. I don't want to destroy anything. Possibly the vibration from the fuzz pedal vibrated it loose? I have a small shop mirror somewhere. I will have to find it first and then see if I can't get a closer look. I'll report back.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The problem with using a fuzz pedal with a bass is that it tends to mask the cries of pain from the speaker system. You could well have burned out the driver's voice coil.

9. Timpala

If I have burned out the voice coil, does that mean that I would need an entire new speaker or can a new voice coil be put on? How does a voice coil burn out anyway? Too much volume/gain?

I did remove the speaker and the connections were all very secure. Maybe I will take one of my old torn speakers and hook it up just to see if any sound comes out? If I need an entire new speaker, I will just order one and save myself shop costs. Oh, and I won't hook up a fuzz pedal to the amp anymore.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Wrong answer! You hook that fuzz up and have fun, bro. All you have to do is watch pushing the amp as hard as you possibly can.

One thing you can do to check the speaker is to very gently press in on the cone around the dustcap with fingertips, using even pressure. A good voice coil won't have any rub, but a blown one will rub noticeably. If there is something wrong with it, you can have it reconed. Costs as much as a new speaker, but at least you get the speaker that the cab was designed to use. And speakers blow when you try to get too much volume out of them.

I don't know...I'm starting to think you have a problem in the head now. Could be wrong, but in any event, I'd do further testing with speakers first.

11. Timpala

Well, I figured out what the problem was and I fixed it. The headphone jack metal spring things (I'm sure that's what they are called) were staying in the same position as when I had the headphones plugged in. Thus, making the amp think it was constantly in headphone mode. With a slight push on the metal spring piece inside the headphone jack, the sound now travels to the speaker. Wah Lah! I now think I am a genius. I did save myself some time and money. I am happy about that. :hyper:

12. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Glad to hear that. I recently acquired one of these amps & I'm liking it more every time I play it.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    OK, so hook that fuzz back up and start wailin'!

14. Timpala

I love mine. I bought it when they first came out. I just use it for practicing by myself. Although, if you are in a quiet band, I could easily see using it live.

15. Timpala

I already have. :bassist: I'll probably blow it up for real next time.

16. lowend1

lowend1

I'm starting to hear about peripheral jacks like loops, headphone, etc causing "no sound" and cutting out issues more and more. It's becoming the first thing (after the cord) that I look at when one of my amps acts up.