My band has finally started giging again

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Manuel101, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Manuel101

Manuel101

As some of you know my band has had a bunch of issues and setbacks but we are finally gigging again. What do you think of our sound?
    (selecting a new singer)

2. Icey101

Icey101

mate, i just watched the first clip, thats all i needed...

i aint goin to be picky at all

i LOVE it....great energy, the stop start progressive feel you got going kicks butt...made me feel like jumping up and grooving right there...

3. CS

CS

I read your other threads when you posted them. Congrats on gigging again. What follows are my opinions as a random bloke on the internet, and you did ask...

Bass and guitar are good but they were never the problem anyway.

The singer can sing and has a lot of attitude and movement. She annoys me and that is actually a compliment. There's a lot of arrogance there and IMHO as a frontwoman she needs that. She commands attention and is a good focal point. Good choice...

The drummer sounds like he's playing a different song to the rest of you. I've seen and played with 'musicians' who can operate an instrument but cannot play with others. He's one of them. It doesnt gel, there are inappropriate fills. He needs to start listening to what other people are playing and lock into it.

4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Nice bass playing. I agree with CS about the drummer. Way to busy and the drummer is not connecting with the bass or the rest of the band for that matter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. obimark

obimark

IMHO, your drummer wants to be Neil Peart, there is nothing you can ever do or say that will change this. Seen this before, dealt with it personally. Dump him, move along.

Singer has some good moves and sings prettygood, she needs to dress better though, I am not saying out and out slut wear, but certainly a better thought out outfit than this.

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Guys help me.

I'm not trying to be a jerk.

I'm 60 years old, grew up and started playing bass in rock bands in the 60s, Beatles, Stones , Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix ect ect...

Why don't I get this?
    I really have no clue as to what's going on here.

Blue

8. JumboJack

JumboJack Supporting Member

It's the same thing your parents said in the 60's.
    "I'm 60 years old, grew up and started listening to bands in the 40's, Benny Goodman, Count Bassie ect ect...
    Why don't I get this?
    I really have no clue as to what's going on here."

Music evolves....

Perhaps you could have just kept your question to yourself instead of posting a backhanded critique of the guy's band?

9. Manuel101

Manuel101

My question to you is what exactly don't you get?
    A better question might what is there to get? What i mean by that is that the music either works or it doesn't. In my opinion I think it does. The other question is whether you like it or not which is based on taste. We all different taste in music and that is fine. I personally don't like heavy metal (nothing against the genre) too much or most hip hop because it doesn't appeal to me. So it seems like this is not the type of music you like which is fine (different folks different strokes).

10. Manuel101

Manuel101

Hi Stewie26, thanks for the kind words. By the way, when you say that the drummer is not connecting with the bass do you mean in both songs that i linked or only in the first or second one. I ask because we normally review the tape when we meet up and that could be something we could talk about.

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

He asked for a critique, unfortunately I couldn't give one, no less a backhanded one.

I truly didn't understand what I was listening to, I couldn't even recognize the genre.

If your saying the problem is part me and maybe partly due to my age, you might be right.

No harm intended.

Blue

12. Manuel101

Manuel101

Hi Blue, did you listen to both songs or are you referring to one in particular. As for our genre I think our music might be considered alternative rock. I am still not sure what you mean when you say you didn't understand the music. Do you mean that it doesn't appeal to you?

13. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I didn't get;

The sound

The look

The melody

The arrangement

The lyrics

The beat.

I was not trying to be a jerk, I truly don't get it.

I really think it's my age. I don't think their targeting 60 year olds.

Blue

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

No, I'm saying I don't understand the music. Appeal is not an issue.

I listened to what you use to sound like.

btw, I'm from Montclair, what part of Jersey are you guys from?

Blue

15. Manuel101

Manuel101

would it help if i explain the chord progression? lol. I was mostly just playing roots and thirds then I started playing a latin groove. The progression in the intro is i, v, iv, V

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Blue, I think the drums are throwing you off. As others have said, it sounds like the drummer is playing a different song.

17. Manuel101

Manuel101

oops i meant i, v, iv, v, V

18. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

As to the first song, I wasn't sure what I was listening to at first also, but when the guitar really kicked in and got funky, I thought it was really groovin'. The drummer didn't really bother me much. The second song was interesting. I thought the bass tone could be a bit thicker and deeper. In this tune, the drummer was more bothersome.

I think your singer could work on her appearance. I mean she is your front-person and all. How about ditching the hospital scrub pants and lounge-around-the-house tank and dress the part a bit more? Perhaps do the hair and makeup thing also. I mean that's not too conformist, is it?

19. Manuel101

Manuel101

Honestly guys maybe i am clueless but i don't think the drum part is bad at all. Maybe if I were to hear another drum version to compare it to i might see what you guys mean. Maybe he does do too much (fills maybe) but I think his main groove works with my bass line :bassist:.

20. Manuel101

Manuel101

hahahaha You should have seen the look the drummer and i gave each other when she walked into the venue. We were like, "we need to have a talk with her about her look".

21. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I was listening to the clip without the female front.

Blue