1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My band hates my VT overdrive...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BackonBass13, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BackonBass13

BackonBass13

So I got the Tech 21 VT to add just a tad of sizzle to my exceptionally clean Markbass rig...and my band thinks its "farty". Oh well, I think I've got it dialed in for nice presence and just a hint of grind. What the hell do drummers know about tone anyways...

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don"t think "sizzle" is necessarily right for bass - maybe turn down the top end a bit and go for a "crunch" instead. :)

3. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Honestly, I like the VT Bass OD tone much better with a clean blend. It sits on top of your bass tone rather than take it over.

4. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

I don't like the VT Bass sounds at all. I think it moves from boomy via clanky to bee's hive and back and all that without real depth and dimension. It's an emergency backup for the real deal after all... I agree with Hobobob on the OD pedal with a blend control. That should do the trick just nicely.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

I hate when band members get all opinionated about bass and effects. It seems like guitarists and drummers have a preconceived notions about how the bass should sound.

With that being said it might be worth your while to record how it sounds in the mix and listen to it in full context. The thing I've noticed the most about bass and effects usage is that sometimes what sounds great alone just doesn't work when you add in everything else.

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I welcome input on my bass sound, other band members may hear something I don"t hear from my listening position.

I reserve the right to ignore their input though. ;)

8. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

You're absolutely right. When input from them is based on the overall sound and not preconceived notions.

And yes we should always deserve the right to ignore any input!!!

9. slapstick13

slapstick13 Supporting Member

Honestly, I bought the VT Bass last year after all the hype and HATED it. Maybe it works better with certain combinations of gear(ie bass/the rest of your pedal chain/ amp/ cab), but my setup was Fender P/J> VT and my tuner> Walkabout and ampeg 410 cab and could not find any tone I liked. 100% of the time, after tweaking and tweaking, I liked the tone of just my bass straight into the amp better than with the VT.

My point is dont force yourself to like it because of the hype. I tried so hard to like it hahah. And ended up selling it pretty quickly.

10. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

Every time I try mine again (and again, and again...), I end up unplugging it.

11. P Town

P Town Guest

I bought one a while ago, and I'm not sure I really like it. I may not have really played around with it enough. One thing for me is that I already own a B-15, and six other Ampegs, and it is designed to emulate the amps I already own.

The best configuration for me, (other than no amp), is in the effects loop of a PF-500, mixed lightly in with the amps own signal.

A blend knob on the VT Deluxe pedal would make me like it more.

12. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Keep the VT Bass.........Quit the band.......make your point.

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    you know, you don't have to run a VT dirty. you can also just use it for tonal 'enhancement'. usually run mine with just a teeny-tiny bit of OD.
    IME, the controls on them are pretty touchy so a nudge here and there can make a huge difference whether you like the tone that you're getting out of it or not.

14. newwavefrank

newwavefrank

I see your point, but if my guitar player starts sounding in a way to make the band sound worse, I'm sure as hell going to say something

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use and love both a VT Bass and a Markbass amp. And I agree that you should have the final word on your tone, not your drummer. But....

Before you take a stand and tell everyone to go **** themselves, you should probably make sure that your bandmates aren't actually right. Have you listened to recordings of the band, or are you judging your tone only by the way it sounds to you while you're playing? It's possible that what you're hearing while playing is different from what the others are hearing -- depending on where your amp is and where you are standing, etc. -- and maybe your tone doesn't sound as good elsewhere in the room as it does to you. What do you think -- is that possible?

16. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

I also got a VT to add to my Markbass and sold it 2 month later as I thought it sounded harsh and not even close to my Ampeg SVP pro preamp.

17. metaball

metaball

a few months ago i dumped my Sansamp BDDI for sounding too farty.

18. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I hated mine too and sold it immediately. Some people love 'em.

19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

All the demos of VT I've seen go way fizzy. I can set BDDI to where it overdrives when digging in. Presumably you can dial VT back to get similar.

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1. i couldn't stand my BDDI or the Paradriver either. IMO, the clean was 'okay' but the OD was terrible in both of them.

21. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

In any case it is presumptuous to think you can emulate the tube sound without using tubes.