1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My Band is giving away an Amp-Will this work?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mancefine, Feb 4, 2014.

1. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    My band was fortunate to recently pick up an Orange endorsement, and as we are about to release an album we thought we would utilize our good fortune, as Orange agreed to give away an amp for us.

What we are planning to do is to have a contest that we and Orange will be promoting via Facebook and Twitter, and these are the rules to enter:

1. Like our Facebook Page
    2. Go to our reverbnation and listen to some songs
    3. Send us an email or a facebook message letting us know what you thought about the music, how it made you feel, etc.

The most creative and thought out response will win their choice of ANY of the Orange Guitar Terror models or a Terror Bass 500.

We also have second and third place where second gets a really nice Orange instrument cable, Orange shirts, my bands shirts, free cd’s, etc, and the top 15 entries win a free copy of our new album. Orange will be promoting this from their end, and my question to you guys is would you enter this, or is it too much work for you? What we don’t want is to get a bunch of cheap likes on facebook and nothing else. The goal of this contest is to get people to hear our music, and I couldn’t think of another way to ensure people were jamming our tunes. I don’t think it’s THAT much to win an amp, but I know other contests you just have to enter your email and contact info and that’s it. I’m hoping the fact that someone has to put a little effort into this to win will make people realize they actually have a chance and will enter, but I am a tad concerned it will be too much to ask people to *gasp* actually listen to our music and write a blurb. Thoughts?
  2. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday Supporting Member

My take is that you want a contest that encourages people to listen to your music. By not making it just a "like us on facebook" contest, you're weeding out the people who aren't going to listen, but you aren't interested in those people anyway, so who cares if you alienate them.

I see two problems. 1) Are you prepared to read 10,000+ entries to determine which is the "best"? 2) Do you really think you'll get honest feedback? For example, John Doe gave it a listen and is completely indifferent to it (or didn't listen at all). He wouldn't turn it off if it came on the radio, but he wouldn't actively seek it out either. Of course, if he wants to win a new amp, he's going to blow sunshine up your rear because he thinks that what you want to hear.
  3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

^ This I think you're better off just bringing attention to your band by giving something away.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Check the legality of this in your area. It may not be possible to give away something worth whatever cash if its some kind of subjective judging. You may be stuck with a raffle situation. Also, you may wish to check into the taxation situation with this. How it needs to be reported, etc.
  5. MP87

MP87

I would participate. Let us know if you go through with this and I'm sure you will get lots of feedback from talkbass if you are giving away an amp. As long as its legal as BurningSkies said.
  6. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I would critique your music for an amp.
  7. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Thanks guys. Yes, we are prepared for the volume, but I don't see it being close to 10,000. It IS legal, as the amp is a donation.

I think we will get some honest feedback, but to be quite frank I am more concerned about people just hearing our music in general. I am confident enough in our tunes that I think alot of people that will enter will like what they hear and continue to follow the band even if they don't win the amp. Plus getting a ton of likes on Facebook will help us in the long run, as opinions seem to be derived more and more based on a bands web presence.
  8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

It's a prize given for a contest (the tasks involved are not relevant), so to the best of my knowledge taxes will be involved as the value is over $500. It's legal, but you can't give away a donated product that has resale value.

If you win a radio contest for knowing band trivia or go to a live taping of a show and you get a valued prize pack (as in free tickets to a show, free skin products, new car from Ellen, etc.) you pay taxes on the items.

I like the idea, but it's certainly worth the due diligence.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Exactly. You don't want to get a letter from the IRS.

I've gotten one of those before for band-related stuff, and its not fun. Try collecting funds BACK from the band members and see how that works. ;)
  10. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Good call. We will definitely pay whatever we need to for taxes, etc. Orange does giveaways a decent amount so I'm sure we are in good hands.
  11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

So would I - but I'd need a way better incentive to join FaceBook...
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

The Facebook thing isn't really a big draw for me. We use our page mostly to promote shows and things locally. Having people people outside the area listen to our stuff is cool, but our money is mostly gig money, and they're not coming to any of our regional shows.

I guess if you're trying to hop on a national train, it could help, but I don't know that 'likes' translates into anything real in the musician business.

I have a band page that has over 12K likes, and that doesn't really mean anything for gigs or shows.
  13. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

I would raffle it off at a show. Do it at the end and everybody has heard your music. Plus you should get a pretty well attended show out of it. Facebook likes mean nothing and the feedback you get will be unreliable as people are just trying to win the amp.
  14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

I'd think it better to make it a raffle situation.
    Likes on Facebook, quick blurb about the music, and a winner picked at random.
    keeps things fair.
  15. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    We are actually going to do this at a show in April with another Orange amp. We figured it's a very small investment for alot of exposure.

I do think in some instances when you are contacting venues or promoters via facebook that it is good to have a page with alot of likes and interaction to show that you are at a certain professional level so the promoters can see that. Also, assuming people like our music that like our page, it gives us an opportunity to sell our CD's to people in places we can't afford to tour in right now.
  16. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

It's the winner who will have to pay taxes on what would be the retail price, not the band, just like the TV show prizes.
  17. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    I get where you are coming from, but we want to give people an incentive to take the time to listen to our tunes, as we are promoting "the more thorough and unique your entry is, the better chance of winning."

It's really the only method I could think of that wasn't too over the top to ensure people actually listen to our music.
  18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Yes, but you have to be aware of the fact that you need to report that to the proper fed/state too.
  19. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

So would I. As would many others who play bass or guitar. However, that may be all you get are other musicians looking for a free amp and not a wide cross section of your target audience!
  20. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

Hell yeah, so would I, especially an Orange. Time to get my music writing chops back in order ...