My bass dangles on the left...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Strikebass, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Strikebass

Strikebass

I've noticed this problem with my fender precision bass classic 50 mexican. Whenever I play standing, besides playing with the left hand it seems to me like I have to hold the neck of the bass, otherwise the headstock would head to the floor. Is the reason the lightness of the bass? Cause it's very light, it surprised me when I first took it. Or is it a belt problem? It's a cheap one and it's not made of leather
  2. mrbell321

mrbell321

It's called neck-dive. There are lots of threads on this.
  3. ics1974

ics1974

get a stap that dosn't slide easly on your shoulder
  4. pastorjamesc

pastorjamesc Cheap Ability, Expensive Taste Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Operator of Cotten Patch Sound Design. I do sound design, resetting, and education for churches, organizations, and small venues with no Sound personnel.
    I find a wide strap to help also, and be more comfortable.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Strikebass

Strikebass

Thanks, the shoulder problem it's what I though of in the first place
  7. Ezmar

Ezmar

You could also try swapping out for some ultralite tuners, or move the bottom strap pin higher up, putting more weight below the fulcrum point.

I have done neither of these, just repeating what I've seen/heard advised.
  8. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

With a fender P or J body shape you aren't certain to get neckdive - but the combination of light body and heavy neck will effect the balance, making a balanced shape a neck heavy implementation.

For comfort I'd always recommend a nice wide strap - it may help neckdive, by hanging the bass differently, and grabbing your clothes better (some people hate this).
    A more effective but expensive option is switching the tuners for lighter versions - as will adding weight to the body (some straps have pouches for weights!).

Even more radical options are things like switching necks etc. Try a few basses, especially things like this:
    [​IMG]
    and also other P's and other body shapes . . . this should give you an idea of the various feels of the different ways basses hang - and how bad your neckdive is, and whether you can live with it;)

+1 on trying a wider strap - I recommend the foam ones, like this guy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUPER-COMFO...H16M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352821293&sr=8-1
    They have a little 'give' which combined with the width makes for comfortable wearing. Well worth it for any bassist, even if they only play light basses.
  9. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Replacing the stock tuners with Hipshot Ultralight tuners will remove 5-6 ounces of weight from the headstock, and should reduce or even eliminate neck dive (depending on the particular instrument).
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes

+1. That's what I did. And if you have the really heavy "vintage" style tuners, it will save you as much as a half-pound of weight. Problem solved. My bass balances nicely, and tunes more smoothly.
  11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

A light MIM Fender?
    First time I have heard that.
  12. ch willie

ch willie

Get a wide strap, but to keep it for sliding, get a strap with un-polished leather on the inside. Rawhide will do ya.
  13. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    My main bass (Road Worn Precision) is ridiculously light - but unfortunately, this meant that it suffered from the same problem yours did. It made playing live very uncomfortable, having to hold up the neck all night. Hipshot Ultralite tuners fixed it. The bass balances beautifully now.
  14. 4dog

4dog

Lol,, not.laughing at ya but with ya,, just started a thread about this, gonna try the lighter tuners first , of that dont fix,, move strap button up,, tuners run 40 to 65.00 for a set . Good luck.
  15. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

My P was 8 lbs. 5 oz. with the stock tuners. It's now a svelte 8 lbs.
  16. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Hmm-dangles on the left.....so do I.

<it begged to be said---snicker>
  17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

why, so you can see what hideous neck-dive is really like? :D

big +1 to lighter tuners; out at the end of that long neck, a little weight makes a big difference.

moving strap buttons around won't help much, unless you can get either or both buttons moved towards the headstock.

i hate the wide grippy strap idea, it just makes for a bulky strap pulling the back of your shirt up all night :(
  18. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Yup - I've held one of those for about 10 seconds. Put neckdive into perspective for me - I can't fret well if I'm carrying what feels like half the basses weight on my fretting arm.
    Just something to do if you happen to be around one. Great for some of course. I'd have to use the strap mount extender thingy were I to regularly play a bass balanced in that way.