1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My bass feels dead all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Feb 20, 2013.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

In the last week or so my P bass just seems to lack the luster it once had. I thought it was dead strings, so I got a fresh pack but it hasn't changed anything. It's hard to describe exactly, but it just feels less resonate and alive than it usually does. I checked the setup and it seems pretty spot on. Any ideas?
  2. Duckwater

Duckwater

Play a different bass for a few days, and come back to it.
  3. qervo

qervo Supporting Member

Has the neck moved? Once I stopped playing my bass for a while and when I came back to it, the neck had slightly bowed. Don't know if that really affected the sound but I do know it just didn't feel right until I adjusted it and reset everything .
  4. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

Are you really sure it's a problem with your P, or do you just feel GAS coming on?
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Are yo playing through the same amp? Could be an amp thing.
  6. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Well it ain't a Stingray :)
  7. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses Supporting Member

Time for a new bass. [​IMG]
  8. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

Maybe tightening the truss rod about a 1/4 turn. Had dead sounding lifeless strings one time on one of my basses even though they were fairly new and someone suggested that. Worked for me! If it doesn't help turn it back the other way.
  9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

seven year itch?:bag:
  10. Versatek6

Versatek6 Supporting Member

Could be a factor of the weather, too. Changes could cause the wood to expand our contract, changing how it resonates. Maybe a bit of glue under the fretboard let go.

It sounds odd, but try adding a few ounces of weight securely to the headstock to see what happens. The neck has less mass, so a change there would be more noticeable than one to the body.

There was a post a while back about successfully alleviating dead spots in the neck by embedding tungsten slugs in holes drilled under the tuners.
  11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Believe it or not, yes, this does sometimes work.
  12. rodda55

rodda55

Same thing happened to me with my '62 reissue. I went overseas for a month and when I returned it never sounded the right. The bass is only 12 months old. I changed strings but still not happy
  13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

My theory is the way humans hear different frequencies can change from day to day. I know my hearing does that occasionally.
  14. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

i don't know if this is what the OP is experiencing but i agree with it. sometimes i just have "bad bass days" where none of my instruments sound good to me. it used to be really nerve wracking because i'd fuss endlessly over EQ minutia and other crap and none of it would help. now if i notice it i just take a day off. things usually go back to normal by the time i play again.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's not new any more.
  16. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Is it getting exercise? what are you feeding it? but seriously I would look at getting a Fat Finger they work great I have two because one of my Jazzes has the same condition but I think she just needs some new pups.
  17. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

wow... I actually had to look up what a 'fat finger' was, lol... :bag:
  18. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

If the bass starts to smell after a few days, that's a sure sign of decay and that it is, in fact, dead. If it doesn't start to smell I wouldn't worry about it.
  19. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

Check the neck's tight against the body by making sure the bolts are as tight as possible.

G.
  20. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Lol, thanks for the various responses, humorous or not.

Im inclined to think that the hearing frequencies differently from day to day might be right.

I've been going back to rounds after about a year with flats and I think my ears might be just growing more accustomed to liking/wanting brighter strings again.

As for the feel, I might give the truss rod crank a try.