My bass sound gets lower in time. Need advise.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xehir, Feb 16, 2014.

1. xehir

xehir

I have been playing a MM Strignray 5 for a while but I have a problem. In a rehearsal or on stage, my guitar volume seems to get lower after playing for about an hour. Or it slowly gets lower in time but it will be distinctive level after an hour, I am not sure. And the tone seems to get a little muddy at that time. Especially my G and D string volumes becomes noticeably low.

After an hour or so I am struggling to hear my instrument while other instrument volume levels stays the same.

I have tested it with fresh batteries but get the same result. I could not find the source of the problem. Anybody can help me?

Thanks.
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Does the band play loud - if so, maybe ear fatigue.
  3. clarksouter

clarksouter Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist-Warrior Basses, Artist for T.C. Electronic Bass Equipment
    It is likely the amp being old and getting crappy sounding after it warms up.
  4. xroads

xroads

How do you know that the band stays the same?

I know drummers who play louder after an hour...ear fatigue could also be an issue.
    Do you wear ear plugs?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Not the only explanation, but you *could* be creating thermal failure of your speakers, which would not be good for their operating life! What amp/speaker combination are you using? If your cabinet is only rated to, say 100W, and you're pushing it with a more powerful amp in an attempt to keep up with loud guitars and drums, the speaker driver will start to heat up, lose efficiency (i.e. volume), and ultimately fail permanently! The cure would be to change cabinets, or add another to spread the load.
  7. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

+1
    There could be a Temporary Threshold Shift (TTS) going on and it may make the low frequencies sound more muffled than the higher ones.
  8. xehir

xehir

Well, I have experienced it with different amps on different locations so I do not think it is related to amps.

Yes my band usually tend to play loud but have not thought it is a problem until now. First time hearing about ear fatigue. I will definitely look into that. If it is so, is there any way to eliminate the fatigue or prevent it to happen?

Next time I'll try to do a complete rehearsal with a different guitar, to see if it happens again.
    And I don't wear ear plugs. should I ?
  9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Yes. YES. 1000 times yes. I didn't wear earplugs for years and I have damaged my hearing. It doesn't heal - once you've done the damage there is no coming back.
  10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes, wear hearing protection (ear plugs) BEFORE you lose your hearing (expressly if you hear any ringing in you ears after playing).
  11. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Change the battery too. I'm betting ear fatigue if the case here more than anything, but it could be other things (as pointed out in this thread).
  12. xehir

xehir

Does regular rubber ear plugs works or do I need to wear something specific for musicians.
  13. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Maybe the guitards are sneaking up their volumes on you later in the show. I have found that is a quite common practice among guitar players. Then add some ear fatique to the mix and your bass sounds low.
  14. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

What amp are you using? If it is old and crappy, then it is a scientific fact that it will get softer {/sarcasm.} But seriously, heat affects how things act, especially speaker drivers and vacuum tubes.
  15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Two things that usually happen - people play harder because you get worked up at a gig so both drums and guitars tend to be louder than at the soundcheck and first set, and your hearing tires from loud volume over time.

And I can't chime in enough - use hearing protection!!!
  16. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Musician Specific works MUCH better. Rubber/foam ear plugs generally block out LOTS of useful sound. Musician designed ear plugs typically bring down the noise around you, but everything remains fairly clear. You don't have to get a custom pair either.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS

They work great - standard fit works better for kids while Large fit will work better for adult sized ears. I use the Large fit version.

I bet anything you are experiencing Ear Fatigue - it's real. I have been through it before.
  17. xehir

xehir

Thanks a lot for all the answers. I'll try wearing earplugs during the next rehearsal. Ill let you know the results.