My bass sounds zingy (Help)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kellymack, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Kellymack

Kellymack Supporting Member

I have a fender pj, 4 string. It has 500k vol, vol, tone pots. It's been my fav for the last year. Recently I changed strings, I tried some EB cobalt's.... I didn't like them so I put my bass boomers back on and now it sounds zingy. I thought maybe it's the nut? I looked at my fender Jazz which has the same neck and everything seems ok. Anybody explain why I'm getting this zingy sound?

2. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Did you tweak the truss rod when you changed strings? And how long have the bass boomers been back on the bass?

I don't use either of those string brands but if the Cobalts have lower tension it's possible that the truss rod was giving you less neck relief than you needed, and if you tried the boomers immediately after restringing, you might just have to wait a bit for the neck to settle back to it's boomer position. The action may be too low and 'zingy' until it does.

3. Kellymack

Ahhhh, ok. Bass boomers were off for a day, also I tried some DR's too, but still got the zing...

Are you saying I ought to reset the neck when changing to a different set of strings

4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    You should go over the entire setup when you change string type or brand.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

What is zingy?
    Fret buzz? Different EQ sounding? Strange harmonics?
    Why did you think it was the nut? Was it only the open notes that sounded different?

7. Kellymack

Zingy like a metallic ringing sound. I experienced a similar sound once with the E string when there was not enough tension on the nut. Turns out I did not have the string low enough on the tuning peg.

8. timobee4

timobee4

Zingy? Your nut groove is too low and the zing comes from the first fret?? Get a new one cut or build it up with bone dust and superglue, then file it to the right hight.

9. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

10. Jools4001

When you changed strings did you:

1) make sure that you didn't put a twist in the string?

2) Once the string was up to pitch, press down hard on the string either side of the nut and the bridge saddle to create a good witness point on the string?

11. Jools4001

Not necessarily, could be that there is not enough relief. I'd try a tweak of the truss rod before concluding the nut is cut too low. Also, with no disrespect to the OP, the level of questioning indicates that they don't have sufficient experience to start filling and filing.

If it doesn't respond to simple set up, time for a visit to a good tech I would say.

12. Kellymack

Dang, this is a terrible thing! Thank you for helping

13. Kellymack

I bought some Roto-sounds, and the zing is minimized to nearly nothing... Maybe the other strings just didn't fit right. Thank you guys for helping.

14. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Trade it with ceasarspalace.

15. Kellymack

I just did a set up with the neck, strings and pickups and now it's sounding 99% like it did before the INCIDENT...