1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My bass switching from active to passive mid-song

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rudkeja, Dec 13, 2013.

1. rudkeja

rudkeja

Hi guys I have an active Musicman SUB bass that i always had an Vox headphone amp plugged in. I was playing the bass just fine yesterday then just today, it sounded like it was constantly changing from active to passive pickups, could it be that I need to change the battery or is it a jack thing?

Batteries are still stock and the headphone amp was just plugged in for a couple days so i guess it could be that the battery has no juice left.

Bass newb here so sorry if this is a no-brainer
  2. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

What makes you think it was switching from active to passive? What did it sound like?

If your bass has active and passive mode, you would need to flip a switch or pull a knob to go between the two modes. If a battery were to die in active mode, the sound would just stop completely. I don't think your bass even has the option to switch between active and passive mode though.

Definitely don't leave anything plugged into the bass when not playing, that turns on the preamp and it will drain the battery.
  3. rudkeja

rudkeja

Basically the sound is really strong at first then it suddenly goes really soft then back again repeating the same thing. I'm getting a battery first thing tomorrow to see if it's the issue. No switching from active to passive though
  4. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Sounds like a dying battery. When your battery dies your bass doesn't become passive. It loses volume and then flat out won't work.