1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My biggest bass pet peeve

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tbassherr, Jan 19, 2013.

1. tbassherr

tbassherr

Alright so this is gonna sound dumb, but I hate when the double (or contra, or upright) bass is referred to as a "string bass." Of course it's a string bass, but that doesn't really specify what kind of bass it is. To me, a string bass is just a bass with strings. It could be an upright bass, a bass guitar, or even a gut bass, who knows? Does anyone else hate this?

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Disclosures:
    Too many to list.
    No.

I don't even care when the String Bass is referred to as "The Doghouse".

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It bothers me more when people think it's a cello. Which happens constantly.

4. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rumbledom

Rumbledom Banned

Lots of music terminology is conflicting. A "verse" is the A section in a modern pop tune but it's the "intro" in an old standard. A 7th is a major 7th in classical music. And the dominant is the b 7 in jazz but the five chord in other types of music. Whatever.

My pet peeve -- engineers , band leaders and sound men who think all lows are coming from the bass.

other than that -- bad sounding rooms.

7. kozmikyak

kozmikyak

That's funny, it bothers me when people call my cello a "stand-up bass".

8. Turxile

Turxile

That's exactly where the name comes from. A "string" bass as opposed to a "brass" bass. Those 2 were the options you had back in the day...
    It couldn't have been confused with a bass guitar because they didn't exist back when this name was being widely used. Double bass was the only bass instrument with strings.

9. tbassherr

tbassherr

I also hate the cello thing. At a music festival, two people referred to it as a cello. I almost hit them.

10. tmntfan

tmntfan

getting into an elvator mine was once refered to as a tuba, awkward ride up...

11. bassteban

bassteban

No one calls a slab a *string bass*

12. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

I got the cello comment for the first time from a waiter at a restaurant thing I was playing last year- when he first asked if it was a cello I looked over at the pianist and almost laughed since I thought he was joking, but ultimately I think he just didn't know better, so I just said 'its an upright bass, close enough'.

I can see how getting it more than once can get annoying though...

13. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

We played a street festival last week, and the crowd was into the funk that we were delivering. There was this dill-hole in the crowd who came up front and kept making slapping motions to me. After the set, he came up to me and said, "slap that bass man". It was later revealed that he too was a musician. Pet peeve: Musician's who come to a gig and have to somehow be "involved" when your band is playing a good set. I would never go to a gig and walk up to a guy and say, "Play more color tones my man".

14. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

The door guy at guitar center thought it was a drum set.

"Is that a drum set?"
    "Yeah."

"Is that a cello?"
    "Yeah."

Just agree with everyone and life is much smoother.

15. Jsn

Jsn

The name "string bass" may sound almost ridiculous now, but in its original context it made a lot of sense. It was a contrast to the non-string bass: i.e., a tuba or bass bassoon.

The term "double bass" also used to make sense, as it was often used to "double" bass parts in music, only at a lower octave.

I've experimented with all the nomenclature for our poly-named instrument. I've found the term that best does the job--i.e., people get what I'm talking about--is "upright bass".

Yes, I know these basses existed long before there were non-upright basses, so some purists object to the term. I can respect that. But in practical communication today, "upright bass" works best.

16. bassist1962

bassist1962

The world changes and some just don't want to accept it. "Stand Up Bass" is one that I seem to hear a lot. I prefer 'Acoustic Upright Bass' myself. 'Acoustic Bass' doesn't work anymore because of the ABG, & even this forum has 'Electric Upright Bass' or EUB as a category.

17. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

That guy has a very promising future touring every Guitar Center bass section across the country! (you know.....the under-evolved neanderthal pounding the crap out of some poor bass while he actually has himself convinced that the other people in the store are impressed, when in reality, the other people in the store would like to strangle him.)

18. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

As I took the bass out of the car one night in NYC someone asked me if it was a piano! I've also gotten 'bassoon'.

19. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

I have to say that "upright bass" is the most descriptive and helpful term when talking with most people. It's kind of lame to have to distinguish it from electric bass that way, but the reality is that in a search-centric world, "double bass" and other terms have other meanings. An upright bass is certainly just what you think it is in all contexts.

20. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

This one wins for mislabeling of a double bass.

21. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

It does not bother me. I also don't mind when people ask if my upright is a cello. There are plenty of people that haven't been exposed to the upright bass, so I think it's normal to be intrigued seeing such a massive, foreign instrument. It's like the Great Dane of musical instruments. No big deal...they're just being friendly and curious.