My bro's multiscale Coco 6 string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by T2W, Oct 22, 2008.

1. T2W

T2W

Well, some of you might remember the 'cocobass' I was building, I started it a year and a half ago and Ive had every possible problem with it (fretboard unglued due to ignorance {acetone on coco} , broken glue joints everywhere due to liquid hide glue) in fact the only thing it didnt do is spontaneously combust... anyways I went completely berserk last week and ended the night with a bonfire, case of beer, and the cocobass, not to mention a bit of regret... Now I am expecting some of you to knock at my door with pitchforks. So now that this bass is no more, I feel relieved, and I have to give a bass to my brother since the coco bass was, originally, for him. So we decided he would take the multiscale which I have been wanting to finish so bad for a while. So here it goes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finished shaping it this week, next up is the bridge, then the pickups (my own)

-Cocobolo top on Spalted Maple on Khaya Mahogany
    -Mahogany, Wenge, Padauk and curly Maple neck
    -Curly Maple 24 fret board with Wenge/Padauk binding
    -Red LEDs, I forget the Ohms... I can explain how I did it if asked.
    -35.5 - 32.5 scales
    -Tremblay bridge (new design !) and single coil pickups.
    -Gold Ultralites, knobs and locks.
  2. Jeronimofesto

Jeronimofesto Luthier: JC Basses

Really clean work, it looks great! How were the LEDs? Any issues installing them? Just wondering because I might do that sometime.
  3. eleonn

eleonn

Mario could post a pics of the back/front of the headstock-nut/volute?
  4. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T2W

T2W

hey Enrique buddy, Headstock will wait a bit since it aint to my liking... yet. And well when I dont quite like something, ahmmm, I either destroy it, or at the least, not show it. There will be more progress pics on Sunday when I work on these basses.

Jared, It costs about 2.50$ to do leds on a bass, seriously, a pack of 10 leds are about 1.49, then resistances are about 4cents each, and I used telephone wire (1 of the 4) at about 11cents a foot. The real pita is to figure out how to run the wires properly... example, I had to route out 2 channels on the side of the neck blank, one for the pups at about 5/8 from the top, and then another at 1 1/4 for the leds. Reason for this is, evidently you run the wire before gluing the wings, you dont destroy the wire when routing the pup cavities. I also had to do the CC before. But in the end, when I see peoples faces when I show them, and also since its a 150$ upgrade with most builders, i guess its worth it.
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

That looks really nice. Can't wait to see more of it.
  8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Wow! That's really great - I love me some fanned frets!
  9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

wow. leds are that cheap to do!!!! I am going to led the hell out of my next project!
  10. wilser

wilser

that's the cost of materials only, no labor included in that price, of course. That's where most of the upgrade cost comes from.
  11. T2W

T2W

Finally got some work done on this one. Pickups are coming along tomorrow and should be ready for winding, bridge is taking shape. Pickup cavities are done. I get the equal spacing between the holes with spacers, I got inspired by the fingerjoint jigs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Start Here..
    [​IMG]

17mm spacing in between each..
    [​IMG]

Simple.
    [​IMG]

It was a tad more complicated on this one since the tailpiece is on a 16degree angle.. So I set the drill press table on a 16degree angle. Like I said, simple.
  12. bassmanhamilton

bassmanhamilton Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, J. Hamilton Guitars
    Very Nice, I love Cocobolo!
  13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

That looks really nice, the shape, the wood combination and everything. What is the tan wood in the neck, khaya like the wings?
  14. T2W

T2W

yep, it's khaya alright. I love it but I try not to use it too often (not only in basses)
  15. bassmanhamilton

bassmanhamilton Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, J. Hamilton Guitars
    What type of finish are you planning on using over the Cocobolo?
  16. sargebaker

sargebaker

Disclosures:
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Ouin... Toute une bass hein? Sacréfice!

du beau travail
    :p
  17. T2W

T2W

Merci ! Thanks ! Im planning on finishing it with Polyurethane. Its kinda slow right now cuz im moving into a bigger better more equipped shop... takes time.
  18. sargebaker

sargebaker

Disclosures:
    One that's a little closer to town?
  19. rdcalab

rdcalab

I wish you were my brother.
  20. T2W

T2W

nope, St-Eustache buddy. I cant stand the city, driving my van in the city, one way streets in the city, no parking in the city... I like the north shore better. See ya soon at our g2g in my new shop !
  21. sargebaker

sargebaker

Disclosures:
    Hrm, I wasn't familiar with this GTG, but PM me the details (if/when you have them) I'll definately try to make it!