1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My brother showed me up.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jessicabass, Feb 11, 2014.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

I am a very good bass player, no ego.
    Ive been told by many and sought out by many wanting my services. Im blessed for this, i love playing bass.
    My brother (fellow tber) has been down here for last couple months from canada and i let him sit in for a few songs for a show we did over the weekend with the blessing of my bandmates.
    He picked out three songs that were on hold band wise to do and came up with his own parts instead of copying mine.
    Now....
    Ive always rubbed it in a kidding matter that i am 16 yrs younger and more successful than he ever got at being a bass player.
    He holds it over me that hes taught me everything i know and its only because of him that i can even carry his gig bag let alone be better than him.
    You know... brother and sister fun.
    But damn
    He stepped up mid set and played the songs that we considered put on the shelf as a band and rocked them.
    He had my bass and my amp and for those 3 songs the crowd and the band were just going all out nuts.
    I never heard it sound so good.
    The old man showed us kids how to do it.
    You are the man big brother.

2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I bloody well know the feeling. I would sing at a concert - very well I might add - and then my brother would jump in and play Chopin's 'Revolutionary Etude' on the Piano and show me how its done.

I'm with you on this one.

3. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Very cool. It's great having a big brother who rocks. Mine does. Not musically, but in every other way.

4. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

I am the big brother but my younger brother is/was a guitar player and somehow he just got it naturally. It used to bother me (and sometimes scare me) when he would work on something for five or ten minutes and just own it. I worked hard to get where I'm at and he just kinda winged it the whole time. Now, he rarely plays and that's what bothers me now is that he lost interest in music.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jessicabass

jessicabass

That is a shame.

7. jessicabass

jessicabass

Grrrr thought there was video, but all that came out was distortion and black screen.
    People and their ipods lol

8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

No worries in comparing yourself to your brother. Take it as an opportunity to see some areas where you could improve. Always great to be part of a family where music is part of your life from childhood. Most of my family members play one or more instruments (no one famous.)

There's just a connection when musicians click in time/key/etc. You know exactly what each member is thinking as a tune moves along. It cannot be easily explained to anyone who isn't already a musician.

9. perkidan

perkidan

My brother kicks my ass....and I am an only child.

10. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

My youngest brother (also around here) is a far better bass player and musician than I am. I think it is great.

11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I saw this happen a lot in high school. The ones it came easiest to lost interest quickly.

12. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

He actually played for quite a while but got burned by someone in the biz. He found a semi-famous producer that promised to teach him engineering and how to run a studio if he helped him build his latest studio. My brother has always been in construction of some sort so got the new place 90% done then the guy quit talking to him and just avoided him in general until my brother gave up. After that, he just lost interest.

13. bassinplace

bassinplace

Awesome. :)

14. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

My baby bro is the best guitarist I've ever worked with. There is NOTHING he can't play; he works hard to make that happen.

15. deathsdj

deathsdj

Cool post! I lost my big brother in 2004. He was only 40. But I do keep his picture on the wall of my practice studio to make sure his little bro is keeping after it.

16. Milk

Milk

My older brother started guitar before I picked up anything though I followed soon after. Then he stopped playing altogether after about 4 years... which is kinda weird since at that point you know, you can play well enough. Usually people give up before that... I think i'm partly to blame. I ended up practicing more on my own than jamming with him and I think he found that boring (we always lived together until we were about 23). I have to say we'd kinda grown apart musically at that point, he started more as a grunge/alternative guy, I was by that time more into post punk and new wave. He gave me his gear when he stopped playing anyway.