1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My combo smells a little funny?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Hello I was playing with my fender 350 rumble combo today in band practice and after using one of my fuzz pedals I noticed the amp smelled bad, I checked the speakers all was fine, nothing was hot not even warm, nothing came loose etc and the vents had enough breathing room and the room was hot nor cold. The amp was at 4 volume and although the fuzz was loud it was not pushing the amp beyond its limits because i know the amp is capable of way more volume than had been used. Any thoughts on what it could have been? I've had it less than a year and this has only been this loud a handful of times 1-3 times. Any idea guys?

Thanks
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Maybe it had a long night of partying it didn't tell you about?
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Humor wasted huh?
    Your pedals may have overloaded something in the preamp, overheated an IC or resistor? Might want to have it checked.
  4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Does that combo have a horn ?

If so, they don't like alot of distortion.

Could have overheated something in the crossover or the horn itself.
  5. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Do you have a cat, a dog, or a drummer?
  6. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Does indeed maybe flick it off when using a fuzz?
  7. seamonkey

seamonkey

+1
    If it has a horn attenuator, then you've probably turn it way down, and the attenuator (L-pad) is taking all the power and burning up.

Turn it up, and turn down the treble on the amp. Knobs on the front are a much better way to control tone than knobs on the back.
  8. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Also dilemma... I love the sound of everything when the horn is on when it's off everything sounds muffled..