My custom Muttley bass cab: Hot or not?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Max, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Hey TB. Long time resident. Infrequent poster. But wanted to share my crazy custom Muttley bass cab just completed.

This started as a totally beat Peavey 2 X 15 cab with sticky gross tolex, missing speaker and no grill cloth. Should have taken before pictures but it was literally living in an alley.

Replaced the speakers with EV off Ebay with pushed in dust caps. Switched out the dust cabs. Fabric for grill cloth purchased at local fabric store. Is about the same transparancy as a Fender cloth, but a little softer. Put together my own frame with furring strips from Lowes. Heat transfer of the Muttley character at a local T-shirt shop. HIgh school friend student painted.

The EVs are a mid price speaker, Stand alone it's a little muddy for my taste, but when i ran the two 8 ohms to run at 4, and paired it with my Avatar 2 X 12 with a horn, also 4 ohm, viola: total thick creamy wall of warm bottom end goodness. I have an older Genz Benz GBE 600 that is rated at 600 watts at 2 ohms.

Wanted something wacky and fun. Muttley, of course, is one of America's under appreciated literary figures.

Flame or praise: you guys like? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Max, I would not enjoy something like that behind me and I question the suitability of the EV drivers for that cabinet. Having said that, I applaud your creativity all of the graphics are very well done. :D

P.S. I love Muttley too. I thing there should be a band called The Muttley Crew! LOL :D

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I'd be wary of how it sounds but I like how it looks... haven't seen Muttley in years...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I'm a "function over form" guy, so for me it has to sound good.

You can't just drop speakers into an empty cab and expect good sound.

Cool paint job, but to me it is like throwing a fancy paint job on a beater car.

7. JoZac21

JoZac21

That thing looks amazing!!! (How it sounds, I don't know...)

Muttley always reminds me of my grandmother... they had the same laugh lol.

8. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

'Love the look, but I'd hate to have to schlepp it around.

9. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

Love it! My band plays venues with pa support, and i always go pa, so the cabs are all looks as far as i'm concerned anyways, so this one is right up my alley!

10. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Are those little sequence or jewels all over the cloth? That's awesome!

11. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

I've use EV for years....you can put them in any cab you want. Of course there is an optimal cab, but hey, EV is way better than OEM peavey.

I've put speakers in any cab I want for years. It is what it is.

FLAME ON,:D:D:D

BTW, nice Mutley Cab!

12. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Don't need to flame - content of the post speaks for itself :rollno:

13. AndGabrielFell

AndGabrielFell

14. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Bass_Pounder, really not directed at you.....I've just read many threads on the speaker/cab thing. All good here!

most people don't reply to my replies anyways.... :)

15. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

16. JoZac21

JoZac21

Err... Muttleybass, shouldn't you have one of these?

17. dhomer

dhomer

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    I played through a 2-15 Peavey cab w/EV Forces yeeeears ago. You will need to EQ out a huge hump in the 250Hz range, but other than that it will work..

18. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sure it looks better than it did.

they graphics are fun bright and creative
    and its a conversation piece for sure, which could help word of mouth spread by friends or fans of the band. which is always good

would be cool if other band members/ guitarist had matching rigs to with other characters. so the band has a cool uniform fun look

I can hear muttley's laugh giggling on the haters.

the EV's should work fine with the cab. which im sure has similar volume to hundreds of other 2x15's
    and just like most 15's looking for the same average airspace that hundreds of other 2x15's have

otherwise some ported peavey cabs have been calculated in other threads and appeared to be rather high tuned.
    since the port is just a hole in the baffle and not really based on any calculation. I believe the usual agreed fix was to add actual port walls/shelf to the existing hole to lower tuning.

and if the cab has no stuffing/damping material you could add some. i only mentioned this because you said the cabinet seemed a little dark. so it could help if the cab is currently high tuned and un stuffed. Its most likely the speaker itself as far as available highend

otherwise if its a sealed peavey then everything i mentioned is blah blah blah and then stuffing is more important especially in a sealed cab.

otherwise....BOOOM.......;).......:)

19. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Maybe not a big deal to you but it is to me.... The grille cloth isn't on straight. It looks awesome though!

20. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

That's awesome dude!

I would love to have something that fun and creative to play with! Too bad I have no artistic abilities whatsoever... I would like to try though.

Im going empty cab shopping...

21. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

It's awesome. Too bad the grill cloth isn't a little more crooked. (Seriously)