1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My custom Warmoth build is finally done!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theleteri, Dec 31, 2012.

1. theleteri

theleteri

5 years of dreaming and 3 years of saving, researching and building and she is finally done!

when i first learned about G&L i went on the website to check out what they had to offer. the JB picture they had is in baby blue with a vintage looking neck and i fell in love with the combination. I did A LOT of research on different brands and decided that no one made the bass that i wanted. I love the look if the tele headstock and the sleekness of the j-body but once i played and almost purchased a Lakland Daryl Jones i learned that i like a bit smaller of a j body than standard. It was definitely looking like i would have to build my own instrument to satisfy my wants. I found Warmoth while doing a google search for custom basses then came on here to see what ppl had to say. I found only good reviews of their products so i decided that Warmoth would be the company to go with.

Of course over the years i have dreamed of other colors and schemes... it is hard not to with all the options they have. But i always found myself going back to the daphne blue and vintage tint neck.

At first i did not like the Marcus Miller neck with the pearl block inlays on the maple neck but over time i came to LOVE the look. i love how the inlays are very subtle and in the right light they POP! I have had a couple basses with binding and i have never really liked it so i decided to save the money and not get it.

The pickups and electronics took some research. I spent weeks researching on the net looking for what would be best. i knew i loved the sound of a PJ setup but i have had 3 basses with that setup and was ready for a change. I toyed with the idea of doing a MM pichup in the sweet spot but new i was not going to do a preamp and had concerns about the low end and overall tone (not the hugest fan of MM basses but love the look of the pickup) I had emailed nordstrand about their MM pickups trying to find out what the mm sounds like with no pre and they suggested the big splits for what i said i liked. I made a final trip to GC to try out all the pickup types and configurations i could. they had an Ibanez with big singles so i set the active eq to flat and messed around a bit. i knew that the big splits and wood and everything would sound totally different than what i would get but it was the closest i had. I hate making big decisions without seeing or hearing the thing first but i pulled the trigger on the nordstrand and ordered the bass body with the big split routing.

Now for the neck... I like the look of flame maple on the neck but if i do it i would not want block inlays to take away from the wood and i knew i wanted the pearl block so i emailed Warmoth to see if it was possible to get a neck with slight flaming... not enough to call it flamed but more than non. they said i would have to order flamed so i gave up hope on that idea. I ordered the neck january of 2012 and got it in 7 weeks (the amount of time they said it would take) and guess what... it has slight flaming! i am sure this is a coincidence but i am as happy as i could be!

I had never seen daphne blue in real life and when i would do a search for the color on google it would come up with all sorts of different shades. I knew i wanted something more blue than sonic and lighter than Lake Placid so i figured daphne woulf be the closest to the baby blue i loved so much. The color could not be closer to what i wanted. it is perfect and the finish is flawless!

here are the specks!

Neck
    maple/maple
    pearl block inlays
    vintage tint finish
    tele headstock
    hipshot ultralite tuners
    string tree from the UK (it is the only one i could fond that did 3 strings and would fit in that position on the tele headstock)
    slim taper profile
    steel rods
    Graph Tech TUSQ nut in white

Body
    Dinky Jazz body
    Daphne blue
    rear rout
    badass III string through bridge rout
    Fender high mass vintage bridge (i dont like the badass bridges)
    Fender 62 RI control plate
    black pickguard
    Nordstrand big split pickups

the controls were thought up by me but i do not have the knowladge to make it happen so i posed on here asking for a schematic and line6man was kind enough to make me a drawing

it is master volume, bridge volume, series/parallel switch
    I will never have only the bridge volume on and i do a lot of fading in and out in my band so i needed one master volume but i hate blend pots so this is what i came up with

Obviously it is GORGEOUS! as for the sound... i could not imagine a closer sound to what i wanted. the s/p switch and bridge volume makes it possible to go from a cool smooth articulate tone to a p-bass to a grindy growly monster! I will have ordered an tech 21 bddi deluxe peddle so that i dont have to change the eq on the amp to get my sounds i will just press a button.

there is a link to by my band a couple weeks ago with me on the new ax! you cant see me much but you can hear the bass!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=515163615184079&set=o.132458853495145&type=2&theater

I look forward to your comments and questions!!!

Attached Files:

2. theleteri

theleteri

i dont know why the pix are upside down :crying:

here are a couple more.

Attached Files:

3. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

4. dbd1963

dbd1963

Hey, I like it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bo_H

Bo_H

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Beautiful! I'm a sucker for blue. My only question is why the monster chrome washer around the output jack?

8. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

That's the switch. I think it looks kind of cool. The bass is gorgeous, btw.

9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

That's one of the nicest looking Warmoth basses I have ever seen.

Good job!

10. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Nice!

What kind of string retainer is that? I like it better than the hipshot which only grabs two strings. I get A string buzz sometimes and have to futz with the nut to get rid of it. A 3 string retainer like yours would be better and I'm not a fan of the bars that go across all the strings.

11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I was wondering that too. Must have the jack on the side.

12. logans59

logans59

Beautiful Bass! I would think about getting a Pearl pick guard to match the blocks, but thats just my preference. Absolutely stunning as is

13. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Thanks, I'm seeing it now. I thought the switch bat was some wierd reflection.

14. ShirazBop

ShirazBop I Love Wine and Jazz,.. Gold Supporting Member

Very Very Nice! Great Job! You mentioned only volume control on the two knobs...so you're running the tone full up? How's that working for you? I've thought about doing a P/J on a P-body that way but have not done it,...yet...

15. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Gold Supporting Member

That is very awesome. Love everything about it.

Warmoth makes excellent parts and you did a great job with all the choices they give you.

16. mfbolton

mfbolton Bassist for The Dam Dams Supporting Member

Beautiful! Congrats on a great bass, and your patience to make it happen.

17. TechJunky

TechJunky Supporting Member

Wow, that's beautiful! Job well done, with extra props to being patient and building exactly what you wanted without settling.

18. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts Gold Supporting Member

What are your trade interests?

OH WRONG FORUM D'OH!

Nice machine you got there.
    Happy New Year!!!

19. theleteri

theleteri

Thank you all for the kind words.

i lost track of who said what but i will do my best to address all the comments.

the string retainer i got on ebay from this guy:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BASS-GUITAR...K_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item231dc601b1
    hipshot does make a 3 string version of their retainer but it was too big for the headstock and the position i wanted. i wanted equal across all strings and this was the best i could get in a straight headstock

not a huge fan of the mother of pearl pickguards. i got the black pickguard to give it a 50's feel. i also have a black and white checker strap to finish the theme. i am also looking at getting a parchment pickguard similar to the one on the bass on the G&L website.

the bass is rear routed because they did not offer the pickup rout with top routing for electronics and i figured if i wanted to add active electronics i would have the space in the future. the rear rout comes with the side jack (i HATE the jack on the plate) i wanted the mini toggle with the tapered bat in chrome but they did not come in a long shaft version to go all the way thought the wood so i drilled a 3/4" hole in the body to accommodate the switch body and i attached the small mini toggle with washers on both sides of the control plate. lucky my dad would always take me to ACE hardware when i was a kid, otherwise i may not have thought to look there for a chrome washer.

as for no tone knob... i have never used the tone knob. i ALWAYS have had it full up. I have a tregan bass that i rewired from v/v t/t to one volume knob. it has a p/j pickup setup. i had a p body bass with p/j pickup and the only knob i would adjust was the bridge one to dial in a killer flatwound tone... this is what inspired my current knob setup

Attached Files:

20. theleteri

theleteri

one more of the string retainer

and an ad for Nordstrand... :hyper:

Attached Files:

21. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Hi there,

well done!

This bass looks.........wait a minute........ awesome!

Greetz