My dad thinks IHOP is the bomb!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

He's old and impatient. He can get dinner or breakfast..anytime of the day! He'll say "you know, I had an excellent steak the other night..." Really? where? I know the answer already...IHOP. I'll get a phone call on Saturday-"your mother and I are going into town for dinner and wanted to know if y'all wanted to join us?" Where? IHOP.

I'm 50 and I fear it's a slippery slope to that place where I only care about IHOP for my dining pleasure.
  2. RS

RS Supporting Member

What a drag it is gettin' old.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I like IHOP.

-Mike
  4. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

well....i'm 57 and personally don't much care for IHOP...BUT...i suggest you go with him sometimes...

he won't be around forever, and if he goes before you (i mean...none of us is guaranteed anything in this life...just sayin'), you'll regret not going and think "man, if i just had him back, i'd love to go to IHOP with him"..

;)

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Richland123

Richland123

I bet he would like Perkin's. Plus, they have a bakery.
  7. Stinsok

Love him and I see him quite often. He's just found the "Holy Grail" of eating establishments. My mother gives the big "eye roll" when he brings it up.
  8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

How about Cracker Barrel to mix things up?
  9. Stinsok

You would think Cracker Barrel would be a good choice, it's always IHOP. I personally love Cracker Barrel (it's where I buy all my music.)
  10. Richland123

Richland123

I think you can buy Slim Whitman and Boxcar WIllie's greatest hits there. :D
  11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

It's not just the senior crowd... my teens are in love with the place too...
  12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Don't be hatin' on the IHOP! Monday night is "Seniors' Night" and all dinners are 1/2 off with the purchase of a beverage...and that's for everybody at the table, too! Ask me how I know. Some addt'l observations re: the local IHOP which is a mile from the house:

*The IHOP parking lot is contiguous with that of First Colonial Inn (retirement center) so the place is packed starting at 4:30 PM. Sorry, folks...there's no "early bird" special.

*Upon being sitted, I've had total strangers passing me discount coupons over the partition in a manner which suggested some degree of illegality.

*At the check-out, seniors will haggle like Arab camel traders...something like this:

"Let's see...I had dinner and that's 1/2 off...Byron had dinner and that's another 1/2 off...plus I have a coupon so you owe me 8 dollars!"

*It's a more suitable / satisfying destination than the next closest establishment which just happens to be Hollomon Smith Funeral Home.

*Classier than the Waffle House.

*I always ask the waitress if she's in school or supporting some deadbeat spouse / boyfriend. It's frequently both.

*They keep the joint friggin' cold! I keep a sweater in my vehicle for just this dining occasion.

Riis
  13. Richland123

Richland123

My niece works as a waitress at an IHOP in Virginia Beach but I don't know which one and she is not one of the ones in school or supporting some deadbeat spouse / boyfriend.
  14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

First Colonial location. Glad to hear she's doing well...there is money to be made and, in this economy, that's a good thing. Admittedly, I painted the scenario with a wide brush.

Depending on location, 24 hr IHOP's have their own particular problems. We're located close enough to the beach so when the bars close, the IHOP draws its fair share of post-party revelers. They used to post an armed guard to keep things in check.

Riis
  15. stratovani

stratovani

I love IHOP's Colorado Omelet! Yummy! :D
  16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Maybe it's bliss just enjoying something basic you know you will like instead of always pushing the envelope. I'm happier when I keep my life simple.
  17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Ihop is ok, I like finding hole in the wall mom and pop places for breakfast though.

Last time i went to the hop it was pretty busy and slow and seems like they raised prices a bit.
  18. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Just out of curiosity, is your mind and will so effected by the habits of others that you will become them?

So your personal pretense precludes you from spending time with them at a common diner type place once in a while.
    Your father found something he likes, offers a selection he appreciates, and is convenient for them. Where in lies the problem.

Your preference and condescension toward your fathers preference borders on trendy pretense.

Be yourself, and let the old guy enjoy his life instead of being a crepe hanger.

When you're his age, you'll probably do things that the more hip and trendy younger crowd find repulsive.

We all grow up sometime
  19. bassteban

bassteban

My folks also love the place- sadly, a former friend- who should NOT be anywhere near the food service industry- works there so I fear for their health. For better or worse, they are largely homebound(they're 89 & 90)& don't go there anymore...
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Suggest the Grand Slam Breakfast at Denny's to him.
  21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yikes! Sounds like you're already there.