1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Daughter Cut Her Head Open Last Night, Trip To The Emergency Room

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Apr 9, 2014.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Not a great day yesterday - I get home from Muay Thai to hear my daughter screaming - she was playing with a ball, and bounced off the couch and into the sharp edge of the coffee table. Poor girl. We took her to the emergency room, where it took 3 hours and 15 minutes just to see a doctor, and she ended up getting 3 stitches.

Here's the rub - weeks before, my wife in an often impetuous display, removed the child proof padding I had put on there from the table because it was "ugly". I made my feelings known, and that she would likely get cut if she banged into it and she removed it anyway. It would have definitely stopped her from getting cut, it was thick foam pipe insulation.

Instead, my daughter will likely have a small scar on her forehead, not to mention all that she went through...(see that face)? In addition, our part of the bill was $300 (insurance covered the rest), which I am expected to split with her. I haven't yet, but I know she will expect me to bring this up and I'm torn on whether I should or not. I feel like this is her fault. I would have paid the $150 just to have her NOT go through that or me tearing up, as a needle goes into her head while I'm holding her down on the hospital table.

[​IMG]

2. RS

RS

Headwounds and toddlers are almost inevitable. You will all shine on.

3. winterburn69

winterburn69

+1

My son has a scar on his eyebrow from an incident a few years ago, it's fairly visible with him being a redhead (very light eyebrows). Accidents happen. Chicks dig scars (apparently).

If you're worried about the scar, bangs will cover that stuff up! Sucks about paying for the stitches though! that's gotta hurt the bank account!

4. tastybasslines

I get that, I got my lumps too. However, this could have been easily prevented...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

If it was the other way around, she'd remind you at every available opportunity that it was all YOUR FAULT.

Do the right thing and make her ear herself from the inside out with guilt.

Just kidding, mate. Accidents happen and mrs tasty won't need you to remind her that it could have been avoided.

By the way, that's a beautiful little girl you got there. Scars are cool.

7. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

1st off - what a cutie! 2ndly, I'd have a lot of trouble letting go of where the responsibility for this lies, but all the time of hanging on to it, I'd know the real solution is letting go - it's a done deal, recriminations won't make it better, only worse. Guess it could've been a lot worse.

8. tastybasslines

:meh: Yeah, I guess you are right. (BIG SIGH). It will take a lot for me not to say anything about the $150 though. I'll make it...I guess.

9. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

Awwww don't you just hate that face man :(

I am glad (though not as much as you are) that it was not a lot worse. IME let it go, as far as your wife is concerned. There's nothing you can tell her that she doesn't already know

10. Milk

Milk

I see nothing good that can come out of making your wife feel guilty(ier) and worse about this. This is the kind of stuff that builds resentment and ends relationships in the long run. I'm sure she feels bad enough about it as it is.

11. bachlover

Another solution - step up the Dutch Oven treatments!

12. tastybasslines

I don't think that's possible! ;)

13. bachlover

Might be time to make some dietary changes.

14. bachlover

For those of you wondering about this reference:

A Dutch oven is a slang term for lying in bed with another person and pulling the covers over the person's head while flatulating, thereby creating an unpleasant situation in an enclosed space.[14] This is done as a prank or by accident to one's sleeping partner.[15] The book The Alphabet of Manliness discusses the Dutch oven and a phenomenon it refers to as the "Dutch oven surprise", that "happens if you force it too hard".[16] The Illustrated Dictionary of Sex refers to this as a Dutch treat.[17]

A connection between relationships and performing a Dutch oven has been discussed in two undergraduate student newspaper articles[18][19] and in actress Diane Farr's relationships/humor book The Girl Code.[20]

15. RS

RS

^ This

16. PWRL

PWRL

She'll be all right. You won't be able to see that scar for as long as you think. Plus, it's near the hairline. My nephew managed to smack himself almost directly between the eyes, twice, with a split-open goose egg both times. It looked like a third eye for a while but after a couple years, it's going away quickly.

17. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

it's a tough job being the good parent all the time. but you're a tough guy. so there.

healing thoughts for your daughter.

18. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

aww poor girl, head wounds bleed so much too, I bet she though she was going to die. As for the money thing, uhh man money ruins marriages. If you have been married long enough you already know the outcome. You say something about said $150, she says hmm ok and walks away. She will get that money one way or another, and it will always be in the back of her head (that little no good &*!@#). I say take the high road, be thankful your daughter is going to be ok, and just quietly put the pipe insulation back on the table.

19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Not much can be done about the money side, you'll want to keep as on-side as possible. The parents need to act responsibly and not bicker at the expense of the child.

Gotta +1 gearhead tho, I'd certainly see about putting the insulation back on the table for the moment.

20. David Jayne

David Jayne

Yeah, don't. It'll just lead to a big fight and bad feelings. She KNOWS and certainly feels terrible about it . And, she will at some point apologize in some way, and you will know.

21. fraublugher

fraublugher

Hopefully she'll pre-empt the I told you so with a you were right.