my daughter helped me build a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dangorange, Nov 13, 2012.

1. dangorange

dangorange Supporting Member

For a two and half year old, I think she did an awesome job!

I thought some of you might get a kick out of this, I have an oxide fuzz which I absolutely love and recently added an mxr phase 90 into the mix. After hearing how amazing fuzz and phaser sound together, I decided I needed some way to easily engage them simultaneously. A few minutes of research here on talkbass led me to info on bypass loopers and some great schematics.

I bought all the components and while trying to figure out how I should decorate the enclosure, my guitarist made the awesome suggestion of having my daughter paint it up. She loves to finger paint so I let her go at it, couple clear coats later, I think it looks super cool. The best part is knowing my little girl had a ball helping me out and I'll always think of her when I look at this pedal. Anyhow, just wanted to share, and much appreciation for all the info I've gotten from the fine folks on this forum!

[​IMG]

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dude you rock. Finding a way to make something with family-time, awesome. Looks fantastic your little girl has a real eye for color.

3. karter2000

karter2000

4. AlexTheInsane

AlexTheInsane

That's sweet. Looks like a rose at first, looks awesome.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fasto

fasto

cool, your daughter could work at Z.Vex

7. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Very cool! I still keep my Daughter's artwork and have some hanging in my office and my wife has framed some at home. This is something to never let go of ..a piece of her at that age and time...priceless!

9. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Awesome! It looks really cool!

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I Likey! Might start a trend. I hope you have a couple of coats of clear over it for protection..

11. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

That's great. She did an incredible job!

I don't have the skill to build something myself, but if I did, I would let my daughter decorate it.

I also love how Fuzzrocious gives a "kid paint" option on their pedals.

jeremy

12. dangorange

Thanks for the nice replies! I did use a couple of clear coats and plan to keep an eye on it incase it starts to chip off. I doubt her finger paints are very durable or lightfast, luckily most gigs are in dark environments:)

I just checked those Fuzzrocious pedals, that's a great option, looks like he has his 4 year old do the job, awesome!

It's funny, I've been a professional illustrator/painter for almost 20 years and I could never of done that kind of look. I'd over think it, trying to replicate the look of what a child might do is a harder than some might think!

13. Lindsay

Lindsay

Awesome! That's a keeper.

14. the explode man

the explode man

"I love you daughter"

*Smashes foot into pedal

15. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Talented kid you have there, keep an eye on her, she might get rich one day who knows....:)

16. dangorange

;)

17. the explode man

the explode man

Hey Dangorange,

I just had a look at your website - do you do album art at all? Do you have rates for services?

18. dangorange

Hey, thanks for asking, other than my band's album I really have never pursued that outlet, although I'm always open to it. I'm very open to helping out folks that need ideas or design assistance though.

In terms of rates, it's so all over the place I usually discuss that project to project. Feel free to PM me if you have something you need.

19. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very nicely done just make sure she doesn't want to paint any of daddy's basses "Look daddy your bass is so much prettier" I've been there and I laugh now not so much then :)

21. dangorange

funny you should mention that. A couple of months ago she pulled that very stunt, on my '68 Jazz! Luckily for her it's a refin so I'm not so worried about it, I left them on.
    [​IMG]