My Daughter is having a BOY!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Dec 19, 2013.

1. daughter and son-in-law are having a baby and she just got the word today that it is a boy....Merry Christmas....(nothing against girls....i would have been just as happy)

anywho....this got me thinking...what is the best age to get him his first bass?....i was thinking about 6 months, but then i thought....nah, a little to now i am leaning toward 8 months or so....

2. PAC

PAC Banned

Nov 22, 2013
    Congratulations. Grand kids are "Da Bomb". I guarantee you guys will be best buds. It happened to me 5 times already.

3. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    You wanna buy the poor little dude a bass!? Man, that's just wrong... :D
  4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
  5. Sponsored by:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'd be more concerned with arranging to take him to his first SEC football game than buying a silly bass guitar. :D

Congratulations though on the news. Is this your first grandchild?

7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2011
    San Franciscco, CA
    Congrats Dave that is awesome.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Congrats man. I built my twin nieces their first guitar and bass for their second birthday. No such thing as to young
  9. thanks, all....really happy

yeah, Mike, it is my first....i was too young to have grandchildren before now...:D

ok, now for the REAL question....Gibson or Fender?

10. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

Apr 19, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    Congrats! Being a grand dad is awesome I have 2 grand sons and a grand daughter on the way.
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    eight weeks,

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    I had a mini p-bass built for my son @ 3yrs old. We both still noodle with that stupid little thing too. It actually has fairly nice tone.
  13. PAC

PAC Banned

Nov 22, 2013
    Are you not jumping the gun just a bit? What if the kid wants to be a guitard, or even worse, a DRUMMER!

14. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2011
    San Franciscco, CA
    The joy of being a grandfather is loving your granchildren uncondtionally. Even if one of them is a drummer. :eek:
  15. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    After I started playing I had wished someone had bought a bass when I was born and kept it for me. Maybe buy a bass now and keep it for him, easy way to get a birth year bass. Then worse case scenario he has no interest and you get it.
  16. elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Congratulations that your grandchild will be a masculine child!

17. PAC

PAC Banned

Nov 22, 2013
    How right you are. One of mine plays acoustic, another plays electronic, but I love them the same.

18. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    my niece is 5 months old.... her father and i are both professional musicians / music educators...

everyones anxiously waiting to find out what she ends up playing. my vote goes to bassoon, or harp. "scholarship instruments" as i call them..
  19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Congrats, Dave! That's very cool. I'm sure you will teach him the joys of SEC football soon enough.;)

Lakland short scale hollowbody is the right answer, by the way.
  20. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Congrats Dave!

I would say at least 7 or 8....I bought my daughter a samick corsair when she was about 8...she is now 11 and maybe played it 2 hours total.....she keeps saying she wants to play it but makes no effort....

IMHO any younger than 7 and they do not have the coordination
  21. Congrats! Heck, buy the bass now! That way it's always there anytime he wants to play with/play it. And Fender. With flats.