1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My Daughter is having a BOY!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

hooray...my daughter and son-in-law are having a baby and she just got the word today that it is a boy....Merry Christmas....(nothing against girls....i would have been just as happy)

anywho....this got me thinking...what is the best age to get him his first bass?....i was thinking about 6 months, but then i thought....nah, a little to young....so now i am leaning toward 8 months or so....

thoughts?

[​IMG]
  2. PAC

PAC

Congratulations. Grand kids are "Da Bomb". I guarantee you guys will be best buds. It happened to me 5 times already.

Paul

:hyper:
  3. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

You wanna buy the poor little dude a bass!? Man, that's just wrong... :D
  4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

congrats pop-pop
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I'd be more concerned with arranging to take him to his first SEC football game than buying a silly bass guitar. :D

Congratulations though on the news. Is this your first grandchild?

-Mike
  6. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Congrats Dave that is awesome.
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Congrats man. I built my twin nieces their first guitar and bass for their second birthday. No such thing as to young
  8. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

thanks, all....really happy

yeah, Mike, it is my first....i was too young to have grandchildren before now...:D

ok, now for the REAL question....Gibson or Fender?

[​IMG]
  9. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

Congrats! Being a grand dad is awesome I have 2 grand sons and a grand daughter on the way.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman

eight weeks,

and

Rickenbacker
  11. buzzbass

buzzbass

I had a mini p-bass built for my son @ 3yrs old. We both still noodle with that stupid little thing too. It actually has fairly nice tone.
  12. PAC

PAC

Are you not jumping the gun just a bit? What if the kid wants to be a guitard, or even worse, a DRUMMER!

Paul

:rollno:
  13. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

The joy of being a grandfather is loving your granchildren uncondtionally. Even if one of them is a drummer. :eek:
  14. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

After I started playing I had wished someone had bought a bass when I was born and kept it for me. Maybe buy a bass now and keep it for him, easy way to get a birth year bass. Then worse case scenario he has no interest and you get it.
  15. elgecko

elgecko

Congratulations that your grandchild will be a masculine child!

[​IMG]
  16. PAC

PAC

How right you are. One of mine plays acoustic, another plays electronic, but I love them the same.

Paul

:D
  17. groooooove

groooooove

my niece is 5 months old.... her father and i are both professional musicians / music educators...

everyones anxiously waiting to find out what she ends up playing. my vote goes to bassoon, or harp. "scholarship instruments" as i call them..
  18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Congrats, Dave! That's very cool. I'm sure you will teach him the joys of SEC football soon enough.;)

Lakland short scale hollowbody is the right answer, by the way.
  19. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Congrats Dave!

Wahoo!

I would say at least 7 or 8....I bought my daughter a samick corsair when she was about 8...she is now 11 and maybe played it 2 hours total.....she keeps saying she wants to play it but makes no effort....

IMHO any younger than 7 and they do not have the coordination
  20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Congrats! Heck, buy the bass now! That way it's always there anytime he wants to play with/play it. And Fender. With flats.