My Daughters EP - Opinions requested

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by pb9717, Jan 2, 2014.

1. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

Yo Bass Brethren..

I am very proud to present my 22 Year old daughters first EP release. Her name is Roux ( pro: ROO) and she's got some pretty strong material here if I do say so myself. Please take a listen and Let me know your thoughts. Here's a link to my fav track ( "Daddy's Little girl")

https://soundcloud.com/roux-bedrosian/daddys-little-girl

If anyone know how to embed the soundcloud file in the post please let me know.

Appreciate any feedback I can get..thx!

PB

2. Rosebud

Rosebud Previously sbassface Supporting Member

Not bad, I like her voice, strong voice, the band is pretty tight

3. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan Supporting Member

It's great stuff! I actually saw your/her call for musicians on the Philly CL. Definitely interested in the bass part, but I didn't know how serious the project is. I'm looking to gig a couple times a month.

4. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan Supporting Member

On second listen, I'm REALLY digging it. Mind PMing me with more info about the gig?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. madrob

madrob

Good voice but I find the music rather derivative and predictable.

7. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

Could you elaborate? I do appreciate the opinion.

8. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

Wow...thx....working on the marketing. Just a little new to the game. been just a bassplayer my whole life, and new to dealing with "selling an Artist". She wants to do this for a living, bit the music biz ain't what it used to be. Good and bad, you can be a cottage industry, self running business, or attempt to go big label, which is like trying to win a lottery to lose control of your art. so Its all very confusing. Challenging, exciting.

9. LightGroove

LightGroove

Not my cup of tea but she has a great voice. Only critique would be on the technical end of the actual recording. WAY too much going on in my right ear as I listen..like its over panned...kind of overwhelming to be honest..but congrats on your daughters success!

10. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Highlight the complete URL to select it, then click the Soundcloud icon in the upper right corner, under the editor mode button.

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Bravo
    I'm hearing Rush influence no?
    Great voice.

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Also it's mixed like early Incubus--contained & compressed. I think it would be more intense with less paint less studio more live. How are they live?

13. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Listened to four tunes. They all started the same way, hard panned with nothing in the other channel. Do not like...;)

The tempo and overall feel were pretty much same in all of them too. Your daughter has a strong voice, for me she's by far the most appealing aspect. Build the act around her and it could be very successful, I think.

14. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

A little more background on the trax...

My Daughter joined this band a few years back. The players/writers were fairly inflexible regarding arrangement, style, and composition. Ultimately the band broke up. My daughter has a licensing agreement with the writer to use the audio along with her vocal melody , lyrics, etc. When we went into the studio a few months ago, all we had was the mp3's of the mixed stereo trax. Because of this we had limited sonic and arrangement flexibility. Ideally the objective was to give these great songs ( well I though they were pretty strong) their moment in the market. Right now, She's working on new material, and searching for players that can perform this stuff live. The guys in the trax have since separated, ( one in Baltimore, one in seattle, and the two guitar players still here in Jersey doing their own project.) So developing THIS band is not an option. Using some or all of the material is the goal. I would like to see her get together with the composer again, but thats a wishlist kinda thing as they do not see eye to eye. He only writes material similar to this, ( lotsa 7, 5 time sigs, and root to minor 7th changes for his compositions) That not withstanding, I felt this group of musicians really created some very strong material, and I did not want to see it die with the breakup. I'm hoping it will provide a launch pad for additional contacts with songwriters, good players, the kinda cats that can write and play what she's into, not just these kinds of trax. She's very diverse musically. Plays Piano, and is a damn good groove drummer to boot, as well as acoustic guitar, but at heart she's a front person. Ive been working with her since she was 15. (Check out this vid of her with a cover band I ran from those days aah the memories. )

So All the suggestions/comments/recommendations are welcome and appreciated, but as far as changing the material on the EP, I am very limited. I attempted to find cats to re-record the trax with changes to the arrangements, etc and was unsuccessful, let alone finding players to do the stuff live.

Ideally Im trying to let the world what we"ve got, and see if its enjoyable. Feed back appreciated ..again..thx

15. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I just listened to it all.

First of all, Roux really has a great voice. The material and band is honestly just okay.

She needs to connect with someone who is a strong writer who will build something around her voice. She has talent, but I feel that starting from scratch is the best option.

16. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

The CD's are now pressed and ready for distro to College stations nationally. Any tips on how to get attention is appreciated.

Here's all the tracks if anybody wantsa listen. Some of the tracks start on one track then go stereo, so its not a mix error.

https://soundcloud.com/roux-bedrosian

Opinions still wanted..as well as any advise onhow to get the word out. I have now realized the challenge of marketing an new artist...whew.