My Daughters Jag SS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HT Paul, Dec 19, 2012.

1. HT Paul

HT Paul

After going to Girls Rock! Camp this summer, my daughter wanted a bass of her own for her birthday. She had used my Dano Longhorn for camp, and for a while we were looking for Dano's, and she wanted blue, had to be blue, blue was important. Went around to some shops, she got a chance play a Squire Jag SS, and really liked it, and at $120 less than the Dano, I liked it, but, no blue. Stalked Jag SS's on Musicians Friend, and after while caught a "used" one, for $115. Had a scratch, maybe a half inch, but it didn't matter to me, this was red, and a nice red, she wanted blue. So I went to work. The pick guard is cut from a $4 piece of polycarbonite, painted on back. 009.JPG

010.JPG

2. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Sharp! I always appreciate a nice Jag SS.

3. Wadge

Wadge

4. Dan80sMan

Dan80sMan

AWESOME...you are one rockin' Dad!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NightTripper

NightTripper

You're a good dad! I like the blue. How did you go about the refin?

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Oh oh another youngster with Bass Fever.
    Nice job Dad.

8. HT Paul

HT Paul

Being short on time I opted not to do a complete strip to bare wood. I did a mild sanding/scuffing of the original paint, then two coats of Duplicolor Metalcast ground coat, basically it's a sturdy silver sparkle coat that is solid enough to be it's own prime coat. Cut the lace in a strip, did I mention I had to go to the fabric store and buy the lace my self. Took a couple attempts to get the lace right, in the end best cutting method was to eyeball it along the pattern and free hand cutting it with sewing scisors. Used a narrow masking tape to hold the lace and and create the sharp clean edge. The lace/tape actually ran from the neck pocket, all the way around to the p bass pickup cavity. Two coats of Duplicolor Metalcast blue, it's transparent to let the sparkle though. pulled the tape/lace after it set up a little. And finally two coats of clear. There were 2-3 days between each paint process, with sanding and goof fixes too. Pick guard is the The Duplicolor blue sprayed first over the lace, then the ground coat added after.

9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Good job dad. More girls are needed in rock.

10. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Sweet. I would play that Jag! That metalcast is a neat paint. Love the looks of it.

11. INTP

INTP

Great work, and a great looking Jag!

12. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Very cool. These are great basses, and probably as good as it gets for the money. You did an excellent job on the refinish, and I'm thinking she'll be liking it for a long time.