1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MY DIY 210 Cab Rehab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gjbassist, Mar 15, 2014.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

So a few weeks ago a found a Behringer BB210 cabinet at a pawn shop marked down to $55. Even though Behringer stuff doesn't get much love I decided to grab it because the price was too good to pass up IMO. It sounded good but wasn't in the best shape. The carpet covering had several large holes in it that showed the wood underneath. Also I'm not a fan of carpet covered cabs because of how they attract dirt and smoke. I decided to redo it. I stripped the carpet off, scraped off the glue with a heat gun and sanded it down. Then I applied a few coats of roll on truck bed liner. I had just bought a TCE BH250 head and planned to pair this cabinet with it. So I thought it would be nice to try to get the cabinet to coordinate with the head by painting the trim rings and horn red. I also attached rubber feet to the side, which is now the bottom as I plan on using this as a vertical cabinet. I'm very happy with how it turned out!

[​IMG]

If you are not familiar with the Behringer BB210 this is what it looked like when it was new:
    [​IMG]

2. cwsbass

cwsbass

Looking good.
    Nice job. How does it sound?

3. gjbassist

Thanks!
    It sounds really good! Way better than the price I paid for it would indicate!

4. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Looks pretty good!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gjbassist

Thanks DerTeufel.
    I wish I had taken a before photo of my actual cabinet. Even though my roll on bed liner paint job is not perfect it is much better looking than the torn and frayed carpet covering.

7. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

I have a Seismic Audio 210 that has a nasty rat fur covering..decent sounding cab, but it looks horrible. May give it the bedliner treatment.

8. gjbassist

It was easy to apply. The prep work was the worst part. I don't know about other brands but the Rustoleum coating I used doesn't smell the best. I painted it a week ago and it still gives off a fairly strong smell. Hopefully it will go away soon!

9. jeffmaxwell

jeffmaxwell Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, Silver Hammer Designs
    Do you know the Product Name of the Rustoleum coating you used on the cabinet?
    It looks great. I think I want to give that a try on a cab I am building.
    Thanks

10. gjbassist

11. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

It had been discussed before that bed liner can add some serious weight to a cabinet. Do you notice an appreciable weight difference?

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Well whoda thunk!!!

You CAN make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!!! ;)

I like the result. :D

13. gjbassist

Not that I can tell. It was only a quart can to begin with and I used about 3/4 of the can. Can't imagine it added much weight at all.

LOL. Thanks. It really is a good sounding cabinet. The fact that I have less than $80 in it makes it sound even better!

14. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

I watched the video on the Rustoleum site. The liquid doesn't appear as thick and viscus as some of the heavy weight bed liners. For a bass cab, that would be perfect.

15. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I used the Rustoleum for the two cabinets I use. It took a long time (weeks) for it to get completely hard and durable. The smell took a week to diminish to where I could stand them in the car. I would not use it again.

16. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

i had one of these cabs, and I was impressed....I gave it a good work out. Although, I did blow the tweeter!

Got it very cheap....but....it's gone now.

17. gjbassist

I haven't had this cabinet out of the house since refinishing it so I will have to wait and see how durable it is. It has been a week since I did the finish and the smell is not as bad as it was yesterday, so hopefully it will be totally gone soon. Or I may just be high off the fumes and don't know any better! :D