1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My DOA NBD: Sub5 Sterling MM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, Jan 29, 2013.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    UPDATE: Rapid fire response from Sterling, going to try to repair this beast.

Played one in GC and thought, "Hey this is great"

1. I rarely need a 5-string
    2. This ones really light
    3. $299 is a great price (especially if I hold out for a 15% off coupon)

The one at my local GC sold so I ordered one and I get it today, all looks good, the frets and action are great, I go to plug it in and the electronics are screwed up:

The volume is just about half of a passive Fender and the hum is just unusable. I would as far to say the hum is as loud as the signal.

I tried a new battery, touching my fingers to the bridge and strings and nothing tames the hum.

Can anyone offer any insight? I really like the weight and fretwork and don't want to send it back if it's a simple fix.

Oh and here's my obligatory photo!
    [​IMG]
  2. Bobster

Bobster

Take it to GC and have their guy take a look at it. I'm pretty sure it's wiring into the preamp. Try a PM to SBMM (he posts here for SBMM) asking for the schematic.

That should help clear it up.

All the best,

Bob
  3. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

based on what you said - weak signal and lots of hum...sounds like a bad ground connection. possibly right at the jack.
  4. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Thanks guys! I'll try to look up the Sterling guy.