1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Dream : 6 String

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by DaveLaRue, Mar 30, 2012.

1. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Hey Adam I have watched your videos so far , I fell in love with your touche , with your -really sweet- slap technique.I wanted to ask you something about six string bass guitars.I'm playing a four string.I like pop , funk , jazz and blues and I play them.I slap so much , and I slap really fast sometimes.I do lots of double pop , double thumb and sometimes I do both of them at the same time.I'm worry about that ; If I buy a six string bass (I'm thinking about buying a Yamaha TRB 1006) could I keep funking (I mean could I keep my slap speed and agility ? People says you can do everything when you get used to it but I'm still worry.I have big hands and I know impossible is nothing but I'm desperately worry) ?
    Thanks !

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

you can absolutely do all of that stuff on a 6 string once you get used to it! in fact, for some players the extended range inspires them to experiment more with their techniques and phrasing. the yamaha trb 1006 bass is a nice choice, as well, and would probably compliment your pursuits. of course, i would never claim that a 6 string bass is inherently 'better' than a 4 string or 5 string... however, for my personal compositional efforts and performances i love having the flexibility it provides. the one thing that you are going to have to get used to if you switch to a 6 is the muting management of the extra strings. it will feel a little bit awkward at first until you get a handle on getting your hands working together to keep things clean and accurate. check out my video on the movable anchor technique on youtube if you get a moment... in that video i describe in detail a universal basic approach for muting and hand position consistency that you can apply to any instrument. hope that helps some-

adam

3. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Yes , Adam I watched your movable anchor technique too and I think 6 string will inspire me to try new stuffs too.Thanks a lot that helped me so much !

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Wow..even the greatest must seek help at times.. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I'm not sure it is the real Dave LaRue, in his profil it says he uses a Cort bass, while I think Dave LaRue always used a EBMM of some sort. Unless thing have changed :p

7. adamnitti

adamnitti

awesome, keep us posted on your progress!